X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-monitor setup and Twinview

Running Kubuntu 9.10, with KDE 4.3.95.
    Nvidia Quadro 570m with Nvidia driver 190.53.

I just got a laptop dock and an external monitor that I'm trying to get running. I've messed around with Twinview in the past a little, but it seems to be working very well now.

I've found a really nice tool called disper that will basically auto configure Twinview without having to click a dozen times in nvidia-settings. I can enable both monitors working with
    Code:
    disper -e
    and back to the laptop only with
    Code:
    disper -s
    Works really great except for one thing.

After I switch back to the single monitor setup, most apps that I open go to the second monitor (which is disabled). I can just barely see the window shadow on my laptop, but there's no way to drag the window onto my laptop monitor, so I can't access any apps.

I'm having some trouble figuring out how Twinview works. I thought that it would display Desktop 1 on the primary screen (laptop monitor) and Desktop 2 on the external monitor. However, this doesn't seem to be the case because I can't right click on the title and do To Desktop-->Desktop 2 (Well I can, but it won't send it to the other monitor).

1) What is Twinview?
    2) I know that I can setup lots of custom window behaviors in System Settings. Is there some way that I can force applications to open on the primary monitor (again, it's not a Desktop 1 vs. 2 thing)?
    3) Worst-case: is there some shortcut that I can use to get the windows back to the laptop monitor?

I hadn't tried Twinview in a while because it wasn't able to do compositing (and I want compositing on whenever it's plugged in) on both screens. However, either KDE SC 4.4.0 or the Nvidia driver (190.53) has made that possible!

Thanks for the replies.

Re: Multi-monitor setup and Twinview

Twinview doesn't do what you want - show two different desktops on separate monitors. It allows for a single desktop to be displayed over two monitors.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Multi-monitor setup and Twinview

You might want to look at Multiple Monitors How To
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X