This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

operapluginwrapper is constantly using 10% of my CPU

Has anyone else had trouble with operapluginwrapper in 9.10?

I've been using Opera for eight years or so, and right now I'm having more problems than I've ever encountered. For a while after I log in, things go well; but after a while, operapluginwrapper seems to take over between 8% and 15% of the CPU time and keep it, using by far the most memory, to the point that my system slows to a crawl. I'll be on the phone for an hour, and come back to find the disk light on solid and the cursor frozen for fifteen seconds or more.

Anyone seen similar behavior?
    Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Re: operapluginwrapper is constantly using 10% of my CPU

The operapluginwrapper > What does the operapluginwrapper do and is it really necessary?
    Operapluginwrapper is a very small program that only exists to run the plugin in a separate process and communicate with the main Opera process. When you see it eating CPU, it's the actual plugin it's running that is using your CPU, not the wrapper

Here the Opera/pluginwrapper/(flash) seems to behave ok. (opera-10.10 gcc4 + qt4).

What kind of Opera do you have ? 32/64 bit, gcc3/4, qt3/4, bundled ?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

This sometimes happens to me, it's not new though, it's happened occasionally for the 2 years I've been using linux. I suspect it's a linux flash problem as it only occurs (for me) after watching flash vids.

Comment

I have also used Opera for 2-3 years. Recently, I have used Opera 10.10 on a desktop. It is a disaster! It crashes 4-5 times daily; it frequently uses up all the CPU time for 5-10 minutes at a time, sometimes freezing the system entirely. If I can't get it to stop, I try killing it; I even used to have to reboot to get rid of it; now I just use <Ctrl><Alt><Bksp> to kill KDE, and restart it. That desktop isn't puny either: it has 1 GB memory and a 64bit AMD Opteron in it.

The problem of using up memory and CPU is also becoming a problem with Firefox and SeaMonkey as well. But, they don't crash like Opera does. I think it has more to do with certain websites having Waaayyy too much HTML/FP/PHP/SQL/et.al. crammed into a single page. If your desktop/laptop doesn't have a fast CPU (> 3 GHz) and big memory (> 2 GB), you will also see it to the degree you have small/slow memory/CPU.
        UNIX Mechanic &amp; Network Plumber -&nbsp; Linux Counter #52009

Comment

I'm currently using Opera 10.10 on Kubuntu 9.10. I don't know how to find out which gcc or Qt I have, since I didn't install them separately, and "which" just tells me they're in a bin directory.

Opera frequently hangs/freezes, several times a day. So does Amarok. I do have an old machine without enough memory, but it was happy with 8.04. I'm also having problems with my new (<1 yr. old) 1TB external USB drive, which is generally recognized on the second try but never on the first...

Anyway, if anyone has ideas about how to fix Opera, they'd be appreciated!
          Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

Code:
            apt-cache show gcc | grep Version
            apt-cache show libqtcore4 | grep Version
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well the situation is pretty much the same with me. Ive been using opera since i think it was 2001 on Win and for a few less years on linux. Its great on Win (which i hardly use anymore excepting when i want to watch a sports event (mostly flash pages) on the computer or to run some CAD software) and its great on linux too but if you visit pages that make heavy use of flash animations or movies operapluginwrapper will start hogging memory and cpu until it makes your system unusuable. The remedy is usually sudo killall operapluginwrap or the other workaround is disabling plugins via Tools - Quick Preferences and enabling it only when u want to see a movie on line, then disabling it again when youre done with that site. I understand it is a problem with the linux implementation of flash (fq adobe..I wish there were an alternative to your product), but i still find hard to believe the way the problem has been shrugged off by opera developers and how come this thing has been going on without a solution for years. Its very unprofessional from either opera and/or adobe to say the least. Im still sticking up(Ive been on the verge of saying this is it a few times because of this problem) for opera because its highly customizable, has a low memory footprint and a few features that other browsers lack of.
              Blow out the candles on all my frankensteins.

Comment

I have no problems here with Flash 64bit from Adobe site, Ubuntu does the idiotic thing of installing the 32bit flash with nspluginwrapper.

Comment

Anyways...fwiw I had this page bookmarked with some steps you need to take to have flash properly installed to work with opera (not that it will affect the cpu and memory stealing with the hours but at least it will work)

http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/flash-problems-on-linux
                  Blow out the candles on all my frankensteins.

Comment

Working...
                  X