X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [SOLVED] Ksplash Theme background - can't get it to change

The KK start process

Grub(2) > Usplash /1/ (there are other options /2/) > ksplashx (1) > kdm (log in) > ksplashx (2) > KDE

You could link the KsplashX ( KsplashX (1) is using the Xsetup > Topic: KDM from 4.3.1), KDM and Plasma desktop background images to the same picture. Here:

The kdm theme is linked (easier to edit) to the ~/.kde/...:
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 2009-11-21 16:02 Rog131 -> /home/rog/.kde/share/apps/kdm/themes/Rog131
    KDM background image is also a link:
    Code:
    ls -l /home/rog/.kde/share/apps/kdm/themes/Rog131
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 rog rog 35 2009-12-27 01:11 MyWallpaper.png -> /home/rog/Wallpaper/MyWallpaper.png
    KSplashX background image is also a link:
    Code:
    ls -l /home/rog/.kde/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/Rog131/1680x1050/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 rog rog 35 2009-12-27 01:11 MyWallpaper.png -> /home/rog/Wallpaper/MyWallpaper.png
    Plasma wallpaper (one image slideshow) is using the /home/rog/Wallpaper/MyWallpaper.png. Earlier > Two click wallpaper change. Another option is to use the > Scripted Image Wallpaper Plugin:
    Description:
    This is a Plasma Wallpaper plugin that lets you use scripts to control the wallpaper.

=> When the (first) plasma wallpaper is changing => KsplashX and KDM backgrounds are changing too.

/1/ > Topic: Usplash theme - Making of

/2/ Package: splashy (from the official repositories)
    splashy
    A complete user-space boot splash system
    May or may not work - i have not tried with the KK.
    The splashy is using ordinary png images (and xml). So it could be possible to link it to the plasma wallpaper. The package splashy-themes has kubuntusplashy.

/2b/ You could install the Plymouth from the PPA repositories. May or may not work > Plymouth?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Originally posted by vinnywright
      from grub to kdm to login splash to desktop in a semless transition.............. 8)

well exept for the boot splash Hummm whars that one ............

VINNY
      Grub > KDM > Desktop

By 'boot splash' I must assume you mean what you see 'after' the KDM login? That would be the KSplashx image.
      no I mean the one right after grub befor the login screen.....the one that hides all the text of the bootup prosess.

@Rog131 - as always you are a plethora of information ....... allmost to mutch to digest.....LOL

no you keep it up ...... and I promis to studey up on (usplash theme-making-of) sence you botherd to post all that.

right now it all is working beutifully ...... I just wanted (maby) my wallpaper behind the curent usplash insted of the black background it has now........but realey it isent that bad as is .

and thank you @Snowhog for starting this thread and geting me started at trying to ??.....??.........well make a more semless transition from grub to desktop.

this is so beutifull I'm going to

☯VINNY☯
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Regarding the Karmic startup process, at least in 4.4rc1 there seems to be an error in the way ksplashx starts with regards to autologin.

See this mailing list thread I started.

The ksplashx that's shown before the greeter (login screen) is supposed to make the visual process from X start to when the desktop is loaded smooth when automatically logging in, correct? So that the process would become:
        Autologin: GRUB -> Usplash/other -> X start -> (pre-greeter ksplashx seamlessly merged into identical post-autologin ksplashx) -> desktop
        But with the logic in Xsetup that never happens. It *disables* the pre-greeter ksplashx if you use autologin, when the transition to the post-autologin ksplashx would have been smooth (given identical splashes), since the greeter is never displayed. And it enables it when the greeter is to be shown, making it briefly flash before the greeter is drawn.

Code:
        if ! grep -q ^AutoLoginEnable=true /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc; then
          ksplashx Default &
        fi
        "If autologin is disabled, display the pre-greeter ksplashx". This is how it is currently.
        Autologin: GRUB -> Usplash/other -> X start -> ________ -> ________ -> ksplashx -> desktop
        Manual: GRUB -> Usplash/other -> X start -> ksplashx -> greeter -> ksplashx -> desktop
        Since there's an if-clause there to check whether autologin is enabled, it follows that the mind behind it wanted different behavior depending on that setting. For the life of me I cannot understand why we'd want the pre-greeter ksplashx to display when the greeter itself is about to pop up any second, while *not* showing it when it would make the progress from X start to desktop being drawn completely fluid. The mailing list post didn't get a whole lot of responses though so perhaps I'm misunderstanding something fundamental.
        KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Working...
        X