Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia Driver Module not loading after kernel update to 2.6.31-17 on 9.10 Karmic

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Driver Module not loading after kernel update to 2.6.31-17 on 9.10 Karmic

I updated to the latest kernel (2.6.31-17) and now when I startup the computer it states that "Ubuntu running in low graphics mode. Nvidia failed to load Nvidia kernel module, no drivers available".

I installed the latest Nvidia driver (190.53) but I'm still getting the same problem when I try to boot using the -17 kernel. Everything works fine when I boot into the 2.6.31-16 kernel and the X log file shows the correct Nvidia module being loaded (no surprise there I guess).

I'm using a GEForce 9800GT graphics card on an Intel platform. From what I can find, it seems that there should be a kernel module built during the upgrade to the new video driver and/or new kernel. Do I need to some how uninstall the kernel upgrade and then re-install it? I can work from the CLI if I have step-by-step commands to follow. I'm fairly new to all this.

Re: Nvidia Driver Module not loading after kernel update to 2.6.31-17 on 9.10 Karmic

EnvyNG by Alberto Milone
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Nvidia Driver Module not loading after kernel update to 2.6.31-17 on 9.10 Karmic

I ran the steps contained in the previous post and it solved the problem. I noted that the NVIDIA driver that envyng selected was version 185.18.36-0 for Ubuntu9, not the most current version, 190.53.

Comment

The 'most' recent Nvidia driver isn't always 'supported' by Kubuntu. The nice thing about the EnvyNG script is that it does identify the driver that does work and installs that one.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X