This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.4 RC1 -- working here, more or less

Always a sucker for "try the new version" ... http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3109457.0

so, it wasn't pretty, but after 3 stabs at it, I've got it up and running.

To install it, after I set up the repo as directed by claydoh, I exited the desktop with Ctrl-Alt-F1, shut down KDM with "sudo service kdm stop" and ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    There was some issue with kdepim, which I don't use, that blocked part of the update. There was a suggestion that I needed to use "-f install", which I tried, and which did not work. I started KDM and got a blank desktop with no panel and a crashed plasma. Ctrl-Alt-F1 and I repeated the entire process a second time, and got the same incomplete result. I rebooted the system, and tried the third time, and that time it all finished and gave me the zooky new "blue basket weave" greeter. Upon logging in, there were some cosmetic issues. A new "Desktop" folder widget was sitting on top of my previous "home" folder widget. The panel was devoid of my packages that were previously parked there, and so they had to be done over. But, 5 minutes of cleanups and I seem to have a fully functioning desktop. Compiz runs, and Conky runs. The menu is acting slightly weird -- it seems to get a little scrambled at times. I just re-click the "K" and it comes up correctly again. All in all, not a bad RC, in my opinion -- I think it's going to be fine. 8)

Re: KDE 4.4 RC1 -- working here, more or less

Kontact isn't working here, here is the output:

kontact(5189)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"

Anyone with the same problem?

Cantodea
    Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Comment

Originally posted by cantodea
      Kontact isn't working here, here is the output:

kontact(5189)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"

Anyone with the same problem?

Cantodea
      Solved, Akonadi didn't start. Now it does.
      Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Comment

I just upgraded and so far have encountered no problems.

Comment

I had a similar experience upgrading to 4.4. I got the same error with kdepim. I fixed it slightly differently though. I removed the beta repo, then did a "-f install" which removed all the packages that depended on kdepim, then re-added the beta repo, then did another dist-upgrade. Once I rebooted everything came up clean and I just reinstalled the previously removed packages (e.g. akregator, kmail, etc.). They all retained their settings since they were just removed and not purged. Thus far things mostly work.

Comment

Upgraded from 4.4b2 with no packaging issues whatsoever.

I find it difficult to properly appreciate the new default wallpaper, Quadros. Apparently my tastes aren't in tune with KDE.

Luckily I had the re_Generation pack handy, so I replaced the login screen with the black one, the ksplash one with the blue, and then I'm using the multicolor one for my normal background.
            KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorael
              I find it difficult to properly appreciate the new default wallpaper, Quadros. Apparently my tastes aren't in tune with KDE.
              I gotta agree with you there. That checker board background is pretty hideous.

Comment

But it probably makes it a 4x4 theme

My upgrade did not go without issues, maybe it was the Black Pearl theme I had that caused a black screen.
                The various keyboard short cuts still worked and a restart with a fresh .kde did bring up a proper desktop.
                Now I'm trying to get most of my settings back.

Comment

I only lost my panel widgets and other desktop miscellanea, but that seems to happen with every major 4.X.something release.

I LOVE the quadros wallpaper, though I can't seem to find it

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                    I LOVE the quadros wallpaper,
                    You're one sick puppy. :P That checkerboard wallpaper has got to be one of the ugliest WPs I've ever seen. That was the best of the lot for this new release?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

well on my Lucid box, it was the only one looks great with a totally trasparent plasma theme there. It pops!!! yes I like it

I do believe Nuno Pinheiro http://pinheiro-kde.blogspot.com/, one of the top KDE graphics duys, did this one, and I think that at least one Kubuntu person was working on something, but I am not sure if it was graphics for the website or the desktop

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh

I LOVE the quadros wallpaper, though I can't seem to find it
                        http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...content=117878

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The only positive attribute of "quadros" is that it only appears for a couple of seconds, once in awhile.

IMHO.

Comment

I've noticed the hot keys I set up in the K-Menu don't work.
                            For example I used Meta+F for Firefox and Meta+Q for Qalculate.
                            Is this a problem of my system or do others with KDE4.4 experience the same?

Also I'm missing the option to use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace for a KDE restart.
                            I had enabled it in 4.3.4 but the new hot key update seems to (again) have taken away this important tool.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              The only positive attribute of "quadros" is that it only appears for a couple of seconds, once in awhile.
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X