X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet connection- resolv.conf

Hi everybody,

I have posted on 'help the new guy' but this seems to be the place for my problem.
    I hope you can help.

A brief history first.
    I have been using kubuntu 9.04 for about a year, found my way around and all was working fine. I then opted to upgrade to 9.10 a few weeks ago.
    I got loads of error messages on boot, killed my system and no internet, although icon in tray says i'm connected. I decided to do a clean install from disk, all ok but still no internet.

After weeks of trawling various forums, things seem to point at the 'resolv.conf' file.
    Now i dont know what is supposed to be in there but mine has'192.168.1.1'
    I have tried various fixes from different forums, including making the file read only, editing the 'dhclient.conf' to include dns server addresses, changing the 'etc/network/interfaces' file to include ISP server addresses, but nothing works.
    I have also installed 'resolvconf' package as this was suggested to lock 'resolv.conf'.
    None of this i really understand?
    All have no effect. After reboot i still get no internet.
    The only thing i have found to work is editing 'resolv.conf' from '192.168.1.1' to the primary ISP server address, but this only lasts for about 30mins then i have to do it again.

I have a wired network using a safecom GWART2-54125 router.
    Using 'ifconfig' shows 'eth0' and 'lo' to be up and running.

As i have said before, 9.04 worked and still works (i re-installed it as a test)
    and my windows machine works fine, it seems to me to be a software change in 9.10.
    I am starting to lose hope with 9.10 (i am using windows to write this) but i dont really want to go back permanent to 9.04, so any help much apreciated.

Re: Internet connection- resolv.conf

First question, are you trying to use a static IP or a Dynamic IP? With a dynamic IP, the resolv. conf file is automatically populated by the system by grabbing the DNS servers from the router and using them. If you are using a static IP then you need to edit the file to add the IP addresses or your preferred DNS servers. A maximum of three can be entered. I offer you two possible solution.

1. The easiest, next time you have an internet connection, download and install wicd. I think this will solve your problems.

2. If you can't get an internet connection to install wicd, then follow my instructions here, I am sure that will get you up and running.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

Working...
    X