X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network-manager, the virus

Hi guys,

the last distributions of kubuntu continue to propose of default "network-manager" that doesn't work. It's incredible, this nm always has some problem, in fact on the Kubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 the wifi doesn't work with "network-manager" , while always works fine with "wicd".

So I wonder why don't send a distro directly with wicd ? I'd like to understand the why.

please has anybody any idea ?

thanks in advance
    Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Re: Network-manager, the virus

Probably because Kubuntu focuses on KDE4 and KNetworkManger is a KDE4 application.

I've had mixed success with nm. It seems very dependent on network and video hardware. For wired connections there is rarely a problem, but wireless connections can be problematic.

There is an inconsistent policy between the various KDE4 apps which require a network connection, like the weather plasmoids and nm itself. The weather plasmoids begin asking for an Internet connection BEFORE nm starts running. Apparently, and I'm just guessing here, nm has to wait until the other apps time out before it can gain control of the wireless chip.

wicd, on the other hand, has already made an Internet connection before kdm starts or the KDE4 desktop appears, so the weather plasmoids and other Internet dependent apps have no trouble connecting. And, because the wicd connection does not depend upon KDE4, if KDE4 goes down, or kdm stops working, wicd still continues to work. Nm will quite if/when kdm and/or KDE4 quit.

But, like I've said, there is no hard and fast rule. KNetworkManager works well for some and not for others. One can't say that it "doesn't work" for everyone.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      One can't say that it "doesn't work" for everyone.
      Well, yes, one can say that. They would be wrong, but ...

NM worked well for me, in all versions of Kubuntu I've installed. But, I am now using wicd instead. I like how it manages network connections.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Actually I've gone the other way. I had wicd for 9.04 and now for 9.10 I use network manager with good results. The b43-fwcutter package for 9.10 may actually be better, but that would be speculation on my part; and I'm not going to actually test any theories on a perfectly good, working machine

For my use, I don't care that my wifi connection isn't complete until nm kicks in. I use Firefox (always on from boot to shutdown) and its weather reporting addon from weather.com.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

ok , thanks to everybody now is clearer .
          regards
          Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Comment

Working...
          X