Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] what to use instead of missing kitchensync ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] what to use instead of missing kitchensync ?

I am currently trying to set up a synchronization between my Nokia 6230i cellphone, my Windows Mobile 5 based PDA and my Laptop.
    The Laptop is running Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. I would prefer to use Kontact as PIM software on the Laptop, but Thinderbird / Lightning or Evolution would be OK too, if Kontact won't work.

As Karmic is missing kitchensync (does anybody know why ?), I tried the command line tools multisync as well as opensync.

But multisync is missing some plugins that are essential to me, while opensync appears to be missing the main utility:
    In multisync, there is an executable named msynctool that allows to set up and configure groups. None of the osync... tools seems to have that ability.

I could not find any documentation that was useful / understandable to me.

BTW: the wiki on the opensync home page appears to be broken: none of the pages I tied to visit are there, and the search function always returns an error.

Can anybody help me by telling me what to use and where to start ?

Thanks and Regards,
    Markus

Re: what to use instead of missing kitchensync ?

Unfortunately I know of no qt software, only gtk apps: wammu or gnokii or rather xgnokii
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

OK, I have installed wammu and successfully connected my cellphone via irda.
      I can view the phonebook entries, the messages, etc ...
      But how can I use it for synchronizing with Kontact, Thunderbird or or at least Evolution ?

BTW: I coult not get xgnokii connected with my cellphone. It says "connecting ...", without ever having been configured, and when I click on the config symbol (I guess this is the hammer and wrench), nothing happens.

Comment

PDA/Smartphone sync in KDE has been in an atrocious state since kpilot essentially bit the dust. I use Kontact as my PIM, but without kpilot I have no way of directly interfacing from my PDA. However, I did find an indirect way to do it by using jpilot. Once I sync to the jpilot desktop on my laptop, I then can go into jpilot and export my calendar and address entries as *.ics (iCal) and *.vcs (vCard), files, respectively. These can then be imported into Kontact. It's a pain in the butt, but it does work.

You may end up having got be inventive. IIRC, jpilot will interface with Evo, but I may be wrong.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by tuxolero
          BTW: I coult not get xgnokii connected with my cellphone. It says "connecting ...", without ever having been configured, and when I click on the config symbol (I guess this is the hammer and wrench), nothing happens.
          Yep, you got to do the hard stuff with gnokii --identify first... The homepage has more info.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yes, I managd it !
            In the german ubuntu forum, someone gave me the hint to try and mix opensync with multisync.
            And - other than expected - they work together.

So now, I use the multisync commandline and GUI packages, together with some of the opensync plugins.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] what to use instead of missing kitchensync ?

Coolio!!!

Could you do a little write up for the benefit of everybody here Pretty please Vielen Dank im Voraus!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] what to use instead of missing kitchensync ?

OK, let's start with the packages I have installed:
                • multisync0.90
                • multisync-tools
                • opensync-plugin-kdepim
                • opensync-plugin-gnokii
                • opensync-plugin-synce

And their dependencies.

Because of my experiments, I have some more packages installed, where I am not sure if I still need them.
                • opensyncutils

Also, I am not sure if and how and where the wammu configuration assistant stored some data that is used by the gnokii lib in the multisync/opensync use case.

After installing all the packages needed (for different mobile devices, you need the corresponding plugins), everything is quite straightforward:
                You do not need to configure anything for making multisync work with the opensync plugins.
                Just open the multisync GUI, add a sync group, and when you add members to the group, the opensync plugins are just there.

Of course, you need to configure the plugins themselves. You can do this within the multisync gui.

The best documentation I have found for the gnokii plugin is this:
                https://opensync.org/browser/plugins...i-sync/INSTALL
                My gnokii plugin config looks like this:
                Code:
                <config>
                 <connection>irda</connection>
                 <port>/dev/ttyS0</port>
                 <model>6230</model>
                </config>
                I did not configure anything for the KDEPIM plugin.
                And I have not yet managed to sync my PDA. But for now, I am extremely happy having synced the mobile phone.

Edit:

It turned out that the gnokii plugin does not sync postal addresses.
                So, if you use your mobile phone as addressbook, you need to find an alternative.
                The backup file created by wammu contains the postal addresses, so this could be a way.

Comment

Working...
                X