This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apturl in firefox 3.5?

Anyone got apturl to work in Firefox 3.5?
    I installed apturl from the repositories and then followed this

Enter about:config in the url bar and add :

Code:
    network.protocol-handler.app.apt in character chain with /usr/bin/apturl as value,
    network.protocol-handler.app.apt+http in character chain with /usr/bin/apturl as value,
    network.protocol-handler.warn-external.apt in boolean value and put true as value,
    network.protocol-handler.warn-external.apt+http in boolean value and put true as value.
    Close and restart Firefox.

(I also tried using false as the value as per here

But still clicking on an apt: link throws up

Code:
    Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program.
    So I tried Edit > Preferences, and there's not apt in the Applications tab so there's nowhere to enter /usr/bin/apturl as the path.

Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Re: apturl in firefox 3.5?

Hmmm, I just clicked on an apt url in Firefox and the popup window asked if I wanted to open it with apturl, and I checked the box to always use this application and the url opened right up with apturl asking if I wanted to install the package the url linked to. I did not make any manual changes to my about:config page.

This resulted in "apt" being added to the applications in preferences, with the action being "apturl (default)".

I checked about:config and there are no entries there concerning apt or apturl.

This is using FF 3.5.5.

Comment

Odd. Doesn't work for me.

[img width=400 height=145]http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3817/error7.png[/img]

FF3.5.5
      Kubuntu9.10 64bit
      apturl is installed
      Code:
      which apturl
      /usr/bin/apturl
      Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Anyone?
        Still doesn't work for me.
        Any ideas?

Comment

When you click on an apturl link in FF does the box come up asking you to choose a program? Have you clicked on "Choose" and browsed to /user/bin/apturl and selected that as the program to use? Did you check the block to always use this program?

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
            When you click on an apturl link in FF does the box come up asking you to choose a program?
            No
            Have you clicked on "Choose" and browsed to /user/bin/apturl and selected that as the program to use? Did you check the block to always use this program?
            no, no option to do that, just the "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program" alert.

apturl is installed
            I've got:
            network.protocol-handler.app.apt -> /usr/bin/apturl
            network.protocol-handler.app.apt+http -> /usr/bin/apturl

All I get it the alert.

Comment

Try deleting the entries you made in about:config, then restart FF and try clicking on a apt url link again. As I said before, I don't have any entries in about:config pertaining to apt or apturl. I think that "howto" you used is outdated.

Comment

Tools -> Add Ons -> Extensions

Do you have the "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 0.8" installed and Enabled?

The description says "Ubuntu configuration defaults and apt support for firefox extensions/plugins"

Comment

Good catch skunk!! I did not think of that as I think that extension is automatically installed if FF (actually ubufox) was installed from the repositories.

Comment

Try deleting the entries you made in about:config, then restart FF and try clicking on a apt url link again. As I said before, I don't have any entries in about:config pertaining to apt or apturl. I think that "howto" you used is outdated.
                    Tried that -- didn't work. Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by skunk
                    Tools -> Add Ons -> Extensions

Do you have the "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 0.8" installed and Enabled?

The description says "Ubuntu configuration defaults and apt support for firefox extensions/plugins"
                    EDIT: It's installed and active.

Comment

run:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get install ubufox
                      I think that will fix it.

Comment

run:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install ubufox
                        I think that will fix it.
                        Nope!
                        Weird, so this is just working for everybody else?

Go here and see what happens with the APT fro ubuntu 9.04+ link
                        http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I tried https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptURL#Firefox%203
                        Click on this link apt://mplayer , and in the "Application launch" windows, click on the "Choose" button and : ...
                        But all I get in either case is "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program."

I've installed apturl
                        I've now also installed ubufox

Comment

OK, I have one more idea, and it has to do with KDE and not Firefox, but it may be the problem. I'm not running KDE so I'm not sure how to navigate to te place you need to do this, but it is in "System Setings" somewhere. Find the place where you set up file associations, find the association for "apt" and make sure it points to apturl.

Comment

OK, I have one more idea, and it has to do with KDE and not Firefox, but it may be the problem. I'm not running KDE so I'm not sure how to navigate to te place you need to do this, but it is in "System Setings" somewhere. Find the place where you set up file associations, find the association for "apt" and make sure it points to apturl.
                            Good call.
                            Tried that -- didn't work.
                            Weird

Comment

I have hit the wall. No more ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X