This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic Laptop - Lid Closed Crash

Every time I close my lid, even after adjusting power settings, my computer shows me a black screen with no response from keystroke. I am forced to hold power button to turn off. No luck with Alt + SysReq RSEIUB or Ctrl + Esc either.

I've been doing research on this and it seems to be a common problem with Intel chipsets like myself.

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 01d8
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at eff80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

Dell Inspiron E1405

I tried the NetBook version of KUbuntu and this problem was non existent, but I was having problems with the Plasma Desktop fatally crashing so I dropped it.

I've been doing KUbuntu since Fiesty and haven't had a problem like this till Karmic.
    Thanks Friends!
    Post Script: Karmic is great!

Re: Karmic Laptop - Lid Closed Crash

PPS: When NetBook crashed each time I went to debug first, after handling a crash in regular KUbuntu I pressed restart first on a KDE error. It was a restart that I hardly noticed and was still able to try and debug.

Comment

My first question is what are your settings under Menu/System Settings/Advanced/Power Management/Edit Profiles? It may be set to the Default instead of shutdown. The default is different for each setting varying from two different suspends to lockscreen. Also I wonder if this is straight Ubuntu or the version put out for Dell computers which have your drivers installed? There is a Ubuntu 9.10 Dell_X01.iso out now.
      Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

On all profiles it is set to lock screen for lid close. If my system is on for a long time it locks the screen and powers off monitor if my lid is open and works flawlessly. Music still plays after lid closes, even if it's online media.

Comment

Originally posted by pbarta
          On all profiles it is set to lock screen for lid close. If my system is on for a long time it locks the screen and powers off monitor if my lid is open and works flawlessly. Music still plays after lid closes, even if it's online media.
          Which version of KDE are you using? The latest availabe at Kubuntu site is 4.3.3. There were some bugs in an earlier version with Lock screen. Also do you have a screensaver running?
          Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

So I defenetly have KDE 4.3.2 and am considering picking up a new version of KDE. Furthermore maybe this problem will be fixed with a Kubuntu upgrade?!?! I've been using Vista 32bit for the past couple months, just remembered this was a problem since Vista blue screened . Best of luck those with the same problem!
            Peace
            -Paul

Comment

Here, with Kubuntu 9.10, KDE 4.4.00, screen properly locks when I close my Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 laptop - I can here the tone when it does. Open the lid and I'm presented with the password dialog to unlock the screen. System is fully up to date.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just installed Lucid and lid closed problem fixed! Thanks to new KDE No matter, no bugs yet for Lucid

Comment

Working...
                X