This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Taskbar

Help ! I have just installed Karmic which seemed to go smoothly except that on bootup, I get a blank screen with no K button in the lower left corner or taskbar or system tray or window switcher or anything. I can add various widgets which give some of these functions but it is hardly a replacement for the original taskbar from previous releases.

I upgraded by installing from a CD rather than a download upgrade and reformatted the "/" partition only, the "/home" partition was not formatted.

How do I get the taskbar back ?

Re: Lost Taskbar

I would try as a test adding a user and loging in as that user and see if he/she has a good desktop then if so I would say that your seting's ar off in /home/you

if the new user is good report back!

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Right click on the desktop, and click 'add panel'. Then customize the panel back to how it was originally, or however you want.
      The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

Nice one Vinny, you are a genius, setup new account and perfect desktop ! Should have thought of that myself.

I tried right-click & add panel but the panel would not configure.

I guess I will be spending the rest of the weekend debugging configuration files but at least I can see the light. If anyone knows which files I need to edit I will be grateful for the info.

Thanks for the help

Comment

I beleve that you can Delet the .kde folder(the. makes it hidden) in your home acct and a new one will be regenerated at login.
          so leave the new acct. intact for now just in case and log out.

at the login screen press ctrl>alt>F6....youll go to a CLI...now log in to the bad acct

then type this

Code:
          rm -rf /home/vinny/.kde
          replasing vinny with the login name of the acount that's fubard
          now
          Code:
          exit
          press ctrl>alt>F7 .....and log in as that acct and see what happens
          if nothing good then you still have the other acct to work with

.......aaaaa but it wont have admin acsess will it so to take care of that befor you chang to mutch do this

Code:
          sudo adduser vinny2 adm
          then
          Code:
          sudo adduser vinny2 admin
          replaceing vinny2 with the NEW acct.

then for good masure do

Code:
          groups vinny2
          and see if it matches this list......vinny2 adm dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare

OK so now the new acct can administer the box in case of further fubaredness...........

well that should do it for now .......

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Once again Vinny, nice one job done. I have lost some previous config info but it is not serious & can be easily rebuilt.

BTW, it is easier to setup the new account with admin priveledges from the start than to retrospectively apply them as you suggest, another nice feature of 9.1

I am surprised that I had these problems as I have upgraded seamlessly from 7.1>8.04>8.1>9.04 with essentially the same /home partition without a problem but there you go.

Thanks for your help.

Phillip

Comment

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
              X