This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Is Someone Suppose to Know?

Imagine a new user of linux/kubuntu sees this page. What do they think?

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.3.3

-A sentence about backports PPA (what ever that is)

-some kind of command or is it website link

-A recommendation that you should check some kind of key.

How would anyone know what to do? And who doesnt want to have an updated system or software so there are less bugs. Especially when it is recommended on the KDE website!

So what are the proper steps of updating to kde 4.3.3? How would you explain it to newbie who just installed a friendly buntu distro called kubuntu?

Re: How Is Someone Suppose to Know?

I really think it should be standard fair that with any update there should be instructions that come with it to help you.

Saves people from having to google around and then check on forums and/or break their system.

A little help, fore thought and care goes a long way for community.... that is my 2 cents for the new time lord idea.

Comment

I think you have a good point. Since these point releases come out every month the kubuntu folks should have a nice, informative template that explains the upgrade steps in a more user friendly manner.

I believe there may be other issues with backports which they wouldn't want new users to come in contact with...but I still think they should err on the side of encouraging users to install the point releases.

Comment

I guess this is all volunteer work so we shouldn't be too picky. However, if I was to be picky, then what is this prominent statement supposed to mean?
        Code:
        Users of our new 9.10 release can install it from the Kubuntu Backports PPA.
        In my world you would have to install it before you can become a user.

Comment

Well, I think the difference is the message is referring to KDE 4.3.3. Users of 9.10 don't all have 4.3.3.

Comment

Well I am glad it is not only me who is sitting here looking at the info and going-- :Puh now what do I do.
            It has been a zillion years since I have done any work in 'dos' so the command line info and all that is new to me completely and as I am a fairly new user I get a bit flustered with things like this.
            Currently I am trying to find info on how to fix the display options in KDE so I don't get only 1/4 to 2/3 of the screen on my display.. Its making me a bit crazed esp when in facebook trying to play a bit.
            Ah well, it is volunteer but this newbie is feelin' like a bug in a puddle, can't get anywhere just buzzing around.

Comment

How would you explain it to newbie who just installed a friendly buntu distro called kubuntu?
              If you want kubuntu was always a friendly distro for you, just follow the distro upgrades. You will get KDE 4.3.3 or other new versions without effort once. If you want always to be on the edge and it is a hobby for you, you must be prepared to expect some difficulties. Take it as a part of the game.
              Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I agree that that some links to documentation on how to work with repositories would be good.

But I also think that installing upgrades not "officially supported" (that is not in the "main" repositories) is not something that should be taken lightly, as these packages (although they usually work just fine) may lead to problems/conflicts later down the road, for example, when upgrading to a new release version. So I probably wouldn't put simple step-by-step (do this without knowing what it does) instructions on the main page (at least not without substancial warnings).

New users probably shouldn't install backported software if they want the smoothest experience with *buntus, at least some of these upgrades will move to the main repos later on (once deemed regression free).

That doesn't mean you can't install them if you like, but it is the better to gather up some information first (for example how to add/remove repositories etc.)...and in this, providing documentation links would certainly be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by shaedee
                  . . . I am a fairly new user I get a bit flustered with things like this.
                  Welcome!
                  . . . Currently I am trying to find info on how to fix the display options in KDE so I don't get only 1/4 to 2/3 of the screen on my display.. Its making me a bit crazed esp when in facebook trying to play a bit.
                  Ah well, it is volunteer but this newbie is feelin' like a bug in a puddle, can't get anywhere just buzzing around.
                  If you make a more specific posting regarding this, I'm sure there are people here who can help you. Don't forget to mention what video card (or chip) you are using.

I would also like to say that the most recent issue such as 9.10 is never as stable and as easy for beginners as the more conservative LTS. I know Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) is not technically called LTS right now, but it is still a good, well supported, choice for those who want less surprises. You can't be both conservative and cutting edge at the same time.

Comment

There are many different circumstances where an update becomes important to a user even if they are green and need protection from themselves.

1. You Love or use a particular package but, because everything is so young with KDE 4.X it lacks major features or has bugs that hinder you. You almost need the update so you don't have to wait 6 months for it to appear in the next install or hope it magically trickles into a normal safe update.

2.Stability and usability... no one would recommend running kubuntu 9.04 unless you had KDE 4.2.4. It was officially recommended to install on kubuntu's site! But look at the instructions:

3. Curiosity... your green with linux/kubuntu and you want to learn and try new stuff out for fun! But you have no idea and have to go through forums and oogle it hoping you get it right.

There are probably more reasons.

All I have to say is that if I worked so hard on something and wanted people of all levels or needs to enjoy it I would take the time to drop a few sudo commands for someone to pop into that scary black konsole so they can go forward with a little confidence they are going the right direction. I see it like kubuntu... it may not be the right choice to use or install but at least it was an option that is easy for me to try and deal with the consequence as they come.

Comment

Working...
                    X