This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOIP SIP phones anyone?

I am looking for a good sip phone for my laptop.
    Here is the list I have tried:

- twinkle: This was my favorite but now it doesn't like kk at all. Seems to be a lot of issues:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...le/+bug/378155

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...le/+bug/472428

- Gizmo: is not usable for me as I caanot configure my sip carrier on it correctly.

- Egika: I can configure it but every call is interupted with audio "noise" and I cannot shut it down or the sound off without rebooting.

- Kphone: useless

- x-lite from here:
    http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html&active=4

This used to work but now it wants:
    libstdc++.so.5
    and we have
    libstdc++.so.6
    So any one have a voip sip software phone working?

No skype please. My sip carrier has to many benifits. Free land line calls here in switzerland and to al lot of countries abroad (like the states)
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: VOIP SIP phones anyone?

I don't want Skype as well. I am just testing Linphone and Twinkle on my Kubuntu 9.10 64bit
    Any luck with your search ?
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Comment

Hi Fintan.
      I'm working in a callcenter and most of the machines have Ubuntu (I don't remember what version) and we use Twinkle.

I think that is a good choice, but, I'm talking as a common user only!

I don't know what is need or degree of difficulty in the configuration.

Comment

A few months ago, while running the 32bit KJuanty, I began a search for a VOIP SIP too. I tried ALL the options in the repository and just about every free package I could find on the web. Gizmo has blocked new account formations and left account holders in a learch while the developers try to take it proprietary for $$$. Most of the free apps end up using either the ekiga server or some commercial VOIP server with a limited service free section, or a "trial" period, etc.....

Ekiga worked fine for me on the 32bit KJ but I had trouble finding other family members whom I persuaded to give it a try, so I reverted back to Skype. I even set up an account with Skype and keep it at about $10 because I can connect to any landline just about anywhere in the world for 2 cents per minute. My Verizon wireless account charges me 40 cents per minute for off

I hadn't tried it this 64bit notebook, so I just installed it. I am able to do an "echo" call and it works perfectly. My handle is "GreyGeek" and am on the Ekiga.net server. I will leave Ekiga up for anyone who wishes to make a test connection. I still notice that it is difficult to create new sections or to get sections you've created to display.

But, Ekiga IS running well on this Sony VAIO FGN140E/H notebook. Give me a call!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@ carib
          I'm working in a callcenter and most of the machines have Ubuntu (I don't remember what version) and we use Twinkle.
          Twinkle worked fine until Kubuntu KK 9.10 (or kde4.3.3 ??). Never tried it with ubuntu and won't because I just can't get friendly with gnome.
          It used to read my kontact addresses, place itself nicely in my systray and was stable.

@greygeek: I cannot edit my ekiga to support my sip account (switzernet) which allows me to phone for free on fixed lines to just about anywhere I want to.
          Gizmo was bought by google and wants me to open up an account. Again I cannot edit it to support my account.
          I have skype (finatnausa) but I want to keep using my switzernet. Besides skype likes to use my machine as a hub.

Oh well, I'll just have to hope that twinkle learns to like kde4.x.x

Thankx guys
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

@greygeek: I cannot edit my ekiga to support my sip account (switzernet) which allows me to phone for free on fixed lines to just about anywhere I want to.
            Gizmo was bought by google and wants me to open up an account. Again I cannot edit it to support my account.
            I've read a comment somewhere that Google closed the Linux Gizmo download because there are plans to include Gizmo in either the Chrome browser or the Chrome OS. IF it's the OS that won't do me any good, but if it will be part of the Chrome browser I could live with that. BTW, even though Google blocked the download of the Linux version of Gizmo there is a back door to it.

.....Besides skype likes to use my machine as a hub.
            THAT is the primary thing I dislike about Skype.... their tendency to use LINUX boxes with large bandwidths as involuntary SuperNodes. I've often wondered how many postings about "slow connections" on this forum were actually due to Skype SuperNodes, but Kubuntu and/or Linux took the blame.

The Windows version has an option in the config to disallow SuperNodes, but the Linux version does not. In addition, the SuperNode doesn't register with the other services, so while your wireless is blinking like crazy and your DL speed drops by 400-500Kb, and your mouse is jerky, you can't use Sysmon, service or sysv-rc-conf to kill it because they do not show it. It is like a TSR (Terminate but Stay Resident) except that a GUI part never appears. When you do "sudo netstat -lp" you can't identify which socket is being used because the name is obfuscated.

On this 64b KK, IF I am using Skype when the SuperNode starts up, I don't mind. BUT, when I was running the 32b version of KJ on this box I noticed that even with my 2.26GHz dual core, 3GB RAM and 10Mb bandwitdth with 1.7Mb/s DL and 950Kb/s UL speeds, that the video would sometimes lag the audio by as much as 7 to 20 seconds, or the video would hang!!! Kill the video and I didn't notice the lag as much, maybe a second or two.

To avoid the SuperNode when I am not using Skype I do NOT let Skype reside in my system tray. When I want to use Skype I fire it up, use it to do what I wanted to do, then I close Skype AND I remove it from the system tray. IF you are unlucky enough to have a SuperNode created on your box about the only way I'v found to shut it down is kill the Skype icon in the system tray and then reboot. IF you leave Skype in your system tray with the SuperNode running when you power down it will start back up the next time you power up.

Just letting your Skype icon set in the system tray, even though you don't use Skype much, is just asking for Skype to take 1/3rd of your bandwidth. But, if you have a fast box and and connection, and don't mind giving back in appreciation for being able to use Skype for free.... let'm rip!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X