X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE switch user doesn't---behaves like lock screen

Hi folks,

I'm running Karmic Koala, downloaded and installed on October 30, with Kubuntu-desktop. When I go to Launcher-->Leave-->Switch User,
    it behaves exactly the same as Lock Screen. I'm presented with a dialog box to enter the password for the current locked session and only
    two buttons, Unlock and Cancel. There doesn't appear to be any way to specify a different user or initiate a new session. There is no response to any of the obvious buttons, such as Ctrl-C or F1-F12.

Are there any configuration options to enable/disable Switch User? Could there be some software package that I need and haven't yet
    downloaded? (I remember loading a "fast-user-switch" package in a previous release, but nothing like that appears available.) User switching works perfectly from a Gnome login---this appears to only be a problem for KDE logins.

Any advice or suggestions for debugging this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: KDE switch user doesn't---behaves like lock screen

Hi folks,

So, silence... Either because everybody is seeing this, or, more likely, because no one else is. Aren't there any suggestions for debugging
    a Launcher applet (for instance, turning on logging to see what "Switch User" is doing)? Is there any workaround? For instance, can I
    set up a different screen lock program that allows logging in to an alternate user? Any ideas at all for what might have caused this?
    I tried removing and re-installing kdm and kubuntu-desktop based on this post:
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...ry/025680.html
    but that didn't cause any difference. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't have any ideas on what that is.

Thanks.

Comment

don't know when I click on "switch user" I do get a "new session" dialog so I think it works as it should, try lancelot and see if you get the same problem, if you do it might mean that's a more lower level problem.

Comment

when I do that I get this

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/switchuserdefault.png[/img]

and clicking it takes me to the mane login screen like when you first boot up!

if I login to a diferent acct. or the same one upon loging out I then get the locked by screen like if youd locked a seshon.......and then I enter my password and am back ware we started........that is loged ot of the second seshon and back in the origanall.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The way switch user works, is that it locks the current X session running on virtual terminal 7 (by default), and starts a new X session on virtual terminal 8 with a new kdm login screen.

If you don't see the login screen, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F8 to change to the new virtual terminal (which should be done automatically, but you can switch between terminals using Ctrl+Alt+F<number of terminal>).

If you don't see the login screen after switching terminals, then something might prevent the new X session from starting, in which case you could start by having a peek at the logs (mainly /var/log/Xorg.1.log...which is the xorg log for the second X session. In errors after login, ~/.xsession-errors-:1 can provide more information)

Comment

> don't know when I click on "switch user" I do get a "new session" dialog so I think it works as it should, try lancelot and see if you get the > same problem, if you do it might mean that's a more lower level problem.

This helped enormously! Thanks much! It turns out that, whether through my own error, or through an install process error, I was running
            gdm rather than kdm. When I used Lancelot to try to do a switch error, it gave a "Display manager error", and using the arrow, I got the
            following message: "Lancelot can not find your display manager. This means that it not able to retrieve the list of currently running sessions, or start a new one.", which led me to check the display manager. I re-installed kdm/kubuntu-desktop, selecting kdm as the
            default manager. This led to a configuration that wouldn't bring up windowing, since I did it as a Gnome user, and I think the conflict
            between gdm and kdm was confusing. When I did the dpkg-reconfigure gdm without windowing, and selected kdm, I was able to
            log in to KDE logins and successfully do switch-user. However, this disabled the ability to do switch-user from Gnome-using-users.

So, I guess my feedback would be that it would be nice if:

1. gdm-based switch-user and kdm-based switch-user would interoperate somehow.
            2. Launcher would report an error as Lancelot does.
            3. kdm would recognize a user .Xmodmap file (which I have and gdm responds to, but kdm doesn't seem to use). Have to work on this.

Thanks very much for the Lancelot suggestion---it helped a lot.

Comment

Working...
            X