X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knetworkmanager

Trying to use Knetworkmanager again - used wicd with 9.04

One the panel there is an icon - a pipe with a "T" and the globe on toip of the "T"

If I hover the cursor on the icon a window opens with "Unavailable"

What is unavailable??

If I open the Launcher and Apps->Internet->Knetworkmanager

the Knetworkmanager bounces around for a while and then disappears, Knetworkmanager opens a box on the panel. The box stays there for a few seconds and then disappears.

How do I get Knetworkmanager to run??

Re: knetworkmanager

Weird

Network manager never seems to be that great, although I haven't had a problem with it since 8.10. I click the planet icon and select connect to other network. I then select my wireless connection and enter my password. It then connects. If it will not work like this, it is probably broke. Try removing and reinstalling. If all else fails get WICD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jook_roberts
      Weird

Network manager never seems to be that great, although I haven't had a problem with it since 8.10. I click the planet icon and select connect to other network. I then select my wireless connection and enter my password. It then connects. If it will not work like this, it is probably broke. Try removing and reinstalling. If all else fails get WICD.
      Booted Synaptic and searched for Knetworkmanager - zero results.

Did the same with Kpackagekit - zero results.

Neither thinks that Knetworkmanager doesn't exist. Maybe contained withn another package?

did: whereis knetworkmanager

located in /usr/bin

did: sudo /usr/bin/knetworkmanager

popped up a window that another network manager was running and did I want knetworkmanager started automatically and to be the default network manager. Yes - I'll see what happens.

Comment

I think the combo you are looking for is:

"network-manager" as the, errrrr, manager

and

"knemo" for the tray icon.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          I think the combo you are looking for is:

"network-manager" as the, errrrr, manager

and

"knemo" for the tray icon.
          Thanks - I had found those. Couldn't get results on knetworkmanager, so I tried networkmanager and they showed up. Seems it is NOT Knetworkmanager at all, but rather a Gnome daemon and icon.

A comedy of errors:

1. networkmanager is installed but doesn't do anything
          2.networkmanager is listed on the menus as Knetworkmanager - that led to a lot of wasted time and effort trying to find Knetworkmanager

I finally just got disgusted and installed WICD via synaptic and all of that unused networkmanager stuff was automatically removed and WICD installed.

Comment

WICD. Yes, I moved over to that (in my Ubuntu Jaunty) a bit ago. It's nice, and works well.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              WICD. Yes, I moved over to that (in my Ubuntu Jaunty) a bit ago. It's nice, and works well.
              Yes - I was using it under Jaunty also - got disgusted with Knetworkmanager - I guess others did too since it is missing from 9.10.

Comment

I' ve been running wicd since at least 7.10 but tried Knetworkmanger with every new version and it would fail on my WPA2 link.

When upgrading from 9.04 Knetworkmanager installed itself again and removed wicd.
                This time it was able to make the WPA2 connection but I prefer the clarity of the wicd interface so after a week I wet back to it.

In other words, Knetworkmanager is the default for 9.10.

Comment

Actually I don't think Knetworkmanager is the default for 9.10 - I think they are using the networkmanager from Gnome.

I learned how to get the 9.10 Live CD to find ALL of my disks and decided to re-install 9.10 from the Live CD and get a clean 9.1 install.

That installed the Gnome networkmanager with it's icon in the tray on the panel (I think that is the correct verbiage ).

The icon shows a good connection now. Before when I installed 9.04 and then immediately upgraded to 9.10, the icon wouldn't work.

I notice that the menu still lists networkmanager as Knetworkmanager.

The Gnome networkmanager accessed through the panel icon has all the functionality I need - it shows me the connection is good and if I click on it I can disable the wireless connection to my router - don't trust the wireless yet - too many people looking for a free ride and I send private financial data over the connection - yeah it's encrypted, but only one encryption system has ever been shown to be unbreakable.

Just my bias I guess.

Comment

Right I am jumping on the bandwaggon also, but my tune is a little different. Tried knetworkmanger and it was able to connect from time-to-time, but then it stopped working completely. I already knew about the problems that others had with this notrious application, so I tried Wicd. It was even worse! Completely unable to establish a connection whatsoever. The strange things is that if I do:

sudo ifconfig eth1
                    sudo iwconfig eth1 essid NETWORK_ID
                    sudo dhclient eth1

I have a connection without fail and immediately and it stays for as longs as I need it (the connection is not dropped at all). Clearly, there is no hardware problem and the problem must be in the way in which both Wicd and Knetworkmanager are trying to establish a connection. Unfortunately neither of them provides enough information to even start to suspect where the error may be except to tell me that they cannot get an ip addess, well that I knew already. Does anybody else have n idea of here I could look for some more clues as to what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you guys but i've been using Knetworkmanager since 7.10 and except briefly when I had Jaunty, when for some reason it couldn't connect and I had to resort to the dark side (wicd) it has been of good service. Maybe it's more to do with the atheros chipset in my wireless card than effeciency of knetworkmanager but all the same I'm satisfied with it's perfomance. The tray icon in karmic really sets off the kde look and finally, finally I can show off the cool blue lights when wireless is on.

Comment

Oh, I agree. I didn't have issues with KnetworkManager. Used it soley until my switch recently to WICD. Preference only to be sure. But, I agree as well, that the ethernet chip one has does have an effect on ones success or lack of with KnetworkManager. Mine is also an atheros chip.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I switched back to Knetworkmanager with KK as well. I agree, it's head and shoulders above where it used to be. The one thing it doesn't do that I really prefer about WICD is connecting to wired and wireless networks during boot rather than after you login. This used to give me fits with my NFS mounts but in KK it seems they eventually get mounted anyway so it's good enough.

Has anyone else noticed you can set different icons for different connections? If you open the "Manage Connections" window you can click on the icon and change it. I think that's new in KK. I haven't played with it but could be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by tnorris
                            I switched back to Knetworkmanager with KK as well. I agree, it's head and shoulders above where it used to be. The one thing it doesn't do that I really prefer about WICD is connecting to wired and wireless networks during boot rather than after you login. This used to give me fits with my NFS mounts but in KK it seems they eventually get mounted anyway so it's good enough.

Has anyone else noticed you can set different icons for different connections? If you open the "Manage Connections" window you can click on the icon and change it. I think that's new in KK. I haven't played with it but could be helpful.
                            How did you "switch" back to Knetworkmanager.

I have not been able to find it listed in any repository.

If you mean the networkmanager installed with 9.10, I am pretty sure it is NOT Knetworkmanager, but rather the gnome networkmanager.

So make sure you are praising Knetworkmanager and not the Gnome networkmanager.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
                              How did you "switch" back to Knetworkmanager.

I have not been able to find it listed in any repository.

If you mean the networkmanager installed with 9.10, I am pretty sure it is NOT Knetworkmanager, but rather the gnome networkmanager.

So make sure you are praising Knetworkmanager and not the Gnome networkmanager.
                              The default installed in 9.10 is knetworkmanager (not the gnome applet)...knetworkmanager is in package plasma-widget-networkmanagement (despite the name, it installs /usr/bin/knetworkmanager, a standard tray applet)

Comment

Working...
                              X