This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strigi Desktop Search

Ok, this is going to sound really weird...

I initially could not get Strigi file indexing to work. I now have it working, though... But not really.

Here was my initial problem:

So, I went into systemsettings and enabled Nepomuk and Strigi. Strigi, however, came up with this error:
    Strigi service failed to initialize, most likely due to an installation problem.

Ok. So, after some googling, I found some packages I might need, namely Java. I installed it all, and retried. Still does not work.

I remember suddenly that Strigi worked when I first installed Kubuntu 9.10, however it stopped working when I installed the full KDE desktop. So, I looked throughout ~/.kde/ for a config file for strigi to no avail. Alright. So, I start to type in HERE what my problem is, to see if there is a solution... While also looking up how to USE nepomuk search.

I put "nepomuksearch:Blender" into an Alt+F2 line...

And BAM. It started searching! I cancelled the search, and... Noticed that it was taking up 100% CPU resources AFTER canceling (well, 50%, but I go dual-core). So, I kill it... And, guess what? A plasma pop-up shows that it is... Indexing files!

But...

After several folders that I knew had content... I saw that it indexed... 0 files. Hmm... Well, guess not. So, I looked in systemsettings again, and disabled Strigi, then tried to enable it again. Same problem as initially... Failed to start.

Hmm...

Typing in "nepomuksearch:" into KRunner (Alt+F2) just comes up with:
    The file or folder nepomuksearch:// does not exist.

Ideas? Help? How can I get it to work? And, how do I get it to work properly?
    The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Re: Strigi Desktop Search

Sorry I can't help at all with Strigi. In my experience file indexing services are a complete waste of cycles and disk space. I always disabled indexing on Windows too. So how do I find files?

Alt+F2 -> konsole, and then:

Code:
    find /PATH/TO/SEARCH/ -iname "PATTERN"
    find can do much more than simply search by file name. To learn more:

Code:
    info find
    and

Code:
    man find
    Good luck with Strigi. Last time I tried to make it work was a total fail.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Well, it worked by DEFAULT in Kubuntu. Impressed me.

And, I would totally agree with you, except that a small bit of me wants to show off Linux to all my friends and that it too can index files like Mac OS X and Windows. So, I would like to get EVERYTHING working.

Besides, I got Strigi working... Sort of. I hope to get it working 100%.

Comment

Where IS the strigi config file?

Edit: Nevermind, found it and purged it. Did me no good. The files are:

~/.kde/share/config/nepomukstrigirc
        ~/.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_strigi_feeder

Comment

Strigi is STILL not working... And now I can't get it to work at all.

Comment

A quick search of the forums turned up the thread strigi fubar and a host of others complaining about the uselessness of Strigi. Be sure to read the threads linked from that one.

I don't know whether anyone has gotten it to work or not. If you are seriously determined to make it work, then I suggest moving down the food chain:

If you finally give up on Strigi, you may wish to try Beagle, which seems to be relatively popular among Kubuntu-ers.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Sorry I can't help at all with Strigi. In my experience file indexing services are a complete waste of cycles and disk space. I always disabled indexing on Windows too. So how do I find files?
              Ditto and Amen. And with a little organization and good file naming, even find is rarely required. I really think all this indexing is for the marketeers - those who want our data statistics so they can make a profit. That would explain why they have made the likes of nepomuk nearly impossible to remove. The thing behaves like a virus! This is all becoming a little too Windows-like IMO.
              Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

I forgot to mention: if you do manage to get Strigi to do anything useful, then please write up a HowTo to share the goodness with the rest of the community. I'd be very happy to have my views on it properly rebutted.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Well, my reason for wanting Strigi is that it will index the contents of a file... So I can search for files by content fast. Can't do that with find, I don't think. I might be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tynach
                    Well, my reason for wanting Strigi is that it will index the contents of a file... So I can search for files by content fast. Can't do that with find, I don't think. I might be wrong.
                    Code:
                    cd /path/to/search/from && grep -R 'text I want to find' *
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

You might also want to add "-i" to that grep command so it's not case-sensitive. eg

Code:
                      grep -Ri 'text I want to find' *
                      Also, the file manager Krusader (sudo apt-get install krusader) has a great search tool under Tools|Search. It can search by both filenames and contents of files.

And here's a guide on regular expressions. They look complicated, but really aren't once you get to know them, and can make your searches more powerful (far more than Strigi can provide).
                      http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/x16608.html

With these methods you don't need your computer wasting its resources on constantly indexing files. Similar to the anti-virus programs in Windows, indexing can make a computer laggy. Personally I prefer a quick computer and waiting for a few seconds when I do want to have it search.

But to each his own - just pointing out some options. I've got nothing against Strigi as long as they let me disable and remove it easily (which they don't).
                      Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

Here the strigi is working quite nicely . With the Jaunty and with the Karmic you will need a working Java + Sesame2 backend + a symlink to the java (or java.conf file). More > Topic: Nepomuk&Strigi, enable and use.

The future > Topic: Strigi
                        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                        X