This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound working, but not in Youtube

I have been planning to move to Kubuntu 9.10 KDE4 as my main system on my HP xw4600 workstation now running XP. The first step was to install Kubuntu 9.10 under wubi to see if all hardware & software worked. In general it seems ok, sound is working fine (playing .wav in Amarok for example).

But I cannot get sound to work when I play youtube videos in Firefox or Konqueror. Even after searching for a solution for several hours, nothing seems to solve the problem. I have installed flashplugin-nonfree, but it does not seem to solve the problem. What am I missing?

On another machine I have youtube sound working just fine in Kubuntu 8.04 KDE3.

Please help.

Re: Sound working, but not in Youtube

This worked for me:

1) In the system tray, right-click KMix and select "Show Mixer Window"
    2) In the mixer window, ensure that PCM is displayed
    2.a) If PCM is not displayed, select Settings - Configure Channels, and then ensure "PCM" is selected
    3) Ensure PCM level is set to 100%. (Mine defaulted to 0%.)

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by chipbennett
      This worked for me:

1) In the system tray, right-click KMix and select "Show Mixer Window"
      2) In the mixer window, ensure that PCM is displayed
      2.a) If PCM is not displayed, select Settings - Configure Channels, and then ensure "PCM" is selected
      3) Ensure PCM level is set to 100%. (Mine defaulted to 0%.)

HTH
      Wonderful! Many thanks, that fixed it . My only remaining question is: what is "PCM" and why does it default to 0% if it disables youtube sound ??

Comment

Will one of the mods please sticky this? It seems to come up a lot.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Will one of the mods please sticky this? It seems to come up a lot.
          Good idea, because this happened to me, but I figured it out before I saw this post. On a side note, why would it be defaulted to 0%?
          Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Hi just installed Kubuntu 9.10 and I'm experiencing the same problem. I tried doing the work around suggested above but I don't have a slider on my "default PCM" just a mute box which I've already unchecked. This is my first time using Linux so I don't really know my way around it. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

That sounds unfamiliar to me... Could you pleas check in Kmix: Settings>>Configure Channels and see whether the PCM channel is enabled?

What does it look like if you don't have a slider? Just to check whether we are looking at the same thing, I uploaded a screenshot of my KMIX (PCM channel indicated by red arrow).
              If your lay-out only shows tick boxes and not sliders, I am very curious what it looks like?
              Attached Files
              Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

I had the same issue, and the "PCM" fix sorted it for me. I wasn't able to work out how to try it in the GUI, so I did it as follows:

(1) Open up a Terminal window (use the Konsole application in Applications > System)

(2) Type "alsamixer" (without the quotes). You should get a bunch of mixer bars drawn in the terminal screen

(3) Look for the mixer bar which has "PCM" at the bottom. Is it at zero? If so, use the right cursor to move to that bar, then up arrow to increase it to 100.

(4) Exit from alsamixer using ESC and see if it makes a difference in YouTube.

Good luck! Not sure why it's set to zero by default, no doubt some linux guru will know.

auryx

Comment

Working...
                X