X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't acess internet (solved)

hi
    i have just upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, in a hp dv2000

i have wireless and it seems that it is working networkmanager say that wireless is connected.
    but firefox, konqueror, synaptic or terminal can't access internet

what should i do?
    everything else is working well

thanks

Re: can't acess internet

I have the same problem....

The network manager can detect all the routers around me, including mine.

I tell to to use a wap/wap2 with a simple password for my router. When It tries to connect there is a pop up asking/confirming the password 3 times then disappears. But doesnt work. For now Im stuck at a desk with the ethernet cable.

This worked in 9.04... sigh

Comment

i have tried the ethernet cable, change the active connection on the networkmanager and nothing....
      then, change again to wireless, reboot and then for 30 seconds, I'd have access with firefox.
      after that nothing.

do i need a clean install?

Comment

Get your wired connection working first, folow my instructions here.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Then install WICD netowrk manager. That will get your wireless hopefully working.

Comment

thank you Detonate,
          I had follow your instructions in the howto post but it did not solve my problem.
          at ifconfig i have eth0 (191.168.1.5), eth1 and lo
          sometimes it work for some seconds
          no luck

Comment

Are you using DHCP or a static IP?

Comment

What's your wifi card? I had the same problem with an Intel WiFi Link 5300 but
              this seemed to fix it.
              Also, on my thinkpad firefox and thunderbird both set themselves to use ipv6 which stopped all internet activity dead in its tracks. about:config -> network.dns.disableIPv6 --- set to "true"
              Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

hi Detonate,
                i am using DHCP

and devnultjp
                mi wireless is a broadcom 802.11g and the ethernet is a marvell yukon 88e8039 pci-e,

my problem is more like the programs don't find were is the internet, what i don't understand is why it works for some seconds

when i was doing the upgrade i first notice the problem when updater was incapable of downloading the flash-updater

Comment

How does you connection work with the karmic live cd?
                  Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

What kind of internet connection do you have? Are you connecting to a router, which is connected to a DSL or cable modem? If so, I would suggest rebooting those, first the modem then the router.

Comment

i have reboot the router (D-link DSL-G624T) and still the same

in this computer I have a partition with vista installed and I have normal access, also, others computers access trough the same router (wireless and ethernet)

i am going to make a live cd and try it,

Comment

as eddieg780 suggested i have tried with the karmic live cd , and still can't access the internet

i find last year live cd release 8.10 and ,just to see what happens, give it a try,... access the internet with no problems!!!

so, any suggestions?

thanks

Comment

i have tried the karmic live cd in another desktop and i have the same problem,
                          could it be a problem with the configuration of the router?

Comment

I had the same problem. Before I was running 8.04 and had no problems. Went to 9.04 and bam no internet. I also had a broadcom card. I tried all these suggestions and then some but to no avail. I read somewhere, not sure if on here or maybe Broadcom's site but there were problems with broadcom cards and linux. So I went to Ebay and got an intel card for $11.00. Switch them out and It connected immediately. Then an update came through for knetwork manager and I had no wireless again. Found out about wicd and installed it and have been happy ever since until I tried Karmic alpha4 I believe and wicd 1.5.9 didn't work well with it. Had to plug wired in and went to wicd site http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php , added "deb http://apt.wicd.net jaunty extras" Changed Jaunty to Karmic and put this line "wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -" both without quotes in terminal to get the key. Did a reload, I use synaptic, to get the latest version 1.6.2.2-1 and it works great now. I really don't think it's your router. I also tried different ones and it was the same problem.

PS: I remember where I got the info about broadcom. It was the pclinux site because I was experimenting with that OS at one time. It's a nice distro but prefer Kubuntu.
                            Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Re: can't acess internet (solved)

thank you eddieg780,
                              i have download th tar.gz file from wicd at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wicd/files/ , in another computer, copied to mi desktop, follow the instructions to install it
                              reboot ...
                              and ....it works

Comment

Working...
                              X