This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"FSCK: Superblock last write time is in the future"

If you're dual booting and testing Karmic, you've undoubtedly seen this message recently. I'm hoping this thread can be our "knowledge base".

Background:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=540575

http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-17748.html

Possible working solution here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=25

Re: "FSCK: Superblock last write time is in the future"

Just installed Kubuntu 9.10 from live CD, see my "Back for the fourth time" Comment in Karmic Koala forum. Since I had upgraded three times before from Kubuntu 9.04 I did not have this error, today I did. Ran fsck and fixed the problem. That was almost the only error I had in installation, hope they get it smoothed out for Karmic's debut. Man there was a ton of updates after installing from that one disk. Over 350. I love Karmic though. I've read a lot of your posts and I know you said wait for the debut. I have two computers and nothing but time on my hands. Keep smiling!

Bob
    Robert Collard
    Springfield, IL
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Re: &quot;FSCK: Superblock last write time is in the future&quot;

Great -- well, there's nothing like installing it 6 or 8 times to fill your day, and raise your skill level!

Springfield, Illinois -- Land of Lincoln! Dayton, Ohio here -- we could form the "Midwest Users Group", huh?

Comment

My wife is from Bedford up by Cleveland. You want to start something like a Midwest user's group? How, through the forum? Seriously, it's a good idea.
        Bob
        Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Well, I was being semi-facetious -- I don't think there are any "Midwest-specific" issues with Kubuntu. But it's good to see users closer than England once in awhile!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            Well, I was being semi-facetious -- I don't think there are any "Midwest-specific" issues with Kubuntu. But it's good to see users closer than England once in awhile!
            Lexington North Carolina hear

not the Midwest but not England eather........barbecue eneyone..............LOL

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright

Lexington North Carolina hear
              God's country, for sure!

Comment

The Great State of Alaska (and, yes, you can see Russia from here - if you are on Little Diomede Island )
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think England might be closer to me .....

Comment

I had this same error allot when installing karmic, but just did a fsck and it has gone away .
                    codingfriends

Comment

I just installed sidux, and every time I boot it, I wind up with this error when I subsequently boot kubuntu. Even though sidux and kubuntu show the same times, it seems they are handling it differently, and that is messing things up. Apparently sidux is resetting the hardware clock to some time in the past, which is odd since I'm on the US Pacific coast, and therefore behind UTC. Running fsck from the "maintenance shell" fixes it, but obliviates the faster boot time in karmic.
                      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

http://www.sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-17748.html

Comment

Yep, you have correctly described the problem Doc. Since both sidux and Kubuntu are Debian Sid-based distributions, one would think this should be straightened out in the near term, but I dunno.

Note that if you shut down sidux, and then leave your computer off for whatever your "zone offset" is, (probably 7 hours for you, since Eastern is 4 hours), there is no issue with booting Kubuntu. Just thought I'd point that out -- works for me when I'm leaving the house for the office.

Comment

Just got it, too:

I installed 9.10 from the Live CD I downloaded 9-19-09, no problems, then re-booted into 9.10, no problems, then got the 300+ updates, OK, then re-booted and that's when I got this message and dropped to a maintenance shell:

As people have said, the following fixes it when that happens (right then and there) (without -a and -p options):
                            sudo fsck -C0 -f -v /dev/sdxn
                            (sdxn = your 9.10 partition)

However, I tried that from another OS at Konsole (after unmounting the 9.10 partition), and it didn't fix the problem even though the fsck seemed to go OK. It only fixed it when issued in the maintenance shell where you get the message "FSCK: Superblock last write time is in the future."

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

However, I tried that from another OS at Konsole (after unmounting the 9.10 partition), and it didn't fix the problem even though the fsck seemed to go OK. It only fixed it when issued in the maintenance shell where you get the message "FSCK: Superblock last write time is in the future."
                              That's because the problem isn't with the file system, it's with the way the different OS's, and maybe even different installation version steps of kubuntu itself, are handling system time.

Somebody, somewhere, is stamping the file systems with the wrong time. Last time I booted sidux, I had to fsck every partition on my system when I started 9.10.

Edit: last time I did this, I checked the BIOS clock, and it never got changed. and for what it's worth, every time (once a month) I boot the VISTA system on this hard disk, its clock is always messed up -- several hours in the future -- too. Maybe these things all expect system time to be set to UTC?
                              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
                              X