This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow address resolution - dns or something else? [solved??]

I have a dual boot 9.04 and now 9.10 system that I just put alpha 5 on. With 9.04 my browser and other web app response is immediate, whereas in 9.10 the lookup takes at least 10 seconds, sometimes more.

I looked for any other posts, but didn't see anything similar. This might be related to the network manager, but even with wicd there is still some looking up time.

The application doesn't seem to matter either. In firefox the status bar says 'looking up' for a very long time, and even in apt-get, the [connecting...] takes at least 10 seconds.

the /etc/resolv.conf files are identical, so I don't know what else this could be. I want to say something with the default dns server, but I don't know where to look for that either. One thread I found somewhere else seemed to think it might be an ipv6 issue, but again, I have no idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Re: slow address resolution - dns or something else?

What does your 9.10 /etc/network/interfaces file look like?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

cat /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback

I haven't changed any configurations from the standard install, and I just did all of the updates, and it still takes a while for address resolution.

Comment

How does that compare to your 9.04 /etc/network/interfaces file?

Comment

I just checked the 9.04 /etc/network/interfaces and it comes up with:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
          # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
          auto eth0
          #iface eth0 inet dhcp

The eth0 part seems to be pretty important to me. Is this all I need to add?

Comment

I believe that answer is 'yes.' Add the missing line. You'll need to reboot. Yes, there is a command line for bringing down the network connection and then restarting it, but I don't have that at my finger tips.

Comment

I changed the file to this:

cat /etc/network/interfaces
              auto lo
              iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
              auto eth0
              #iface eth0 inet dhcp

and then rebooted [I do like the added speed of the booting process in 9.10] and it still loads slow.

It seems to pause at every new address, but once that address is found the first time, things speed along quite normally.

apt-get update for example will stall at [connecting] for the first address at ubuntu, but once it finds that one, the subsequent ubuntu addresses go quickly. different repository addresses will restart the [connecting] slowdown.

Same thing for link-heavy webpages. Every different domain needs its loading time, and it takes a long time.

thanks for the help so far though.

Comment

Are you connecting via a router?

Comment

only in the sense that my dsl modem acts like a router. I go from eth0 to the dsl modem to the phone line.

I get essentially the same ifconfig with 9.04 and 9.10

Even the 9.04 ifconfig has the inet6 addr in it, so I'm not sure what could be the new piece to the puzzle.

ifconfig
                  eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:d3:a2:cd:18
                  inet addr:172.16.1.12 Bcast:172.16.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
                  inet6 addr: fe80::213:d3ff:fea2:cd18/64 Scope:Link
                  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                  RX packets:6542 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                  TX packets:6675 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                  collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                  RX bytes:6616216 (6.6 MB) TX bytes:1039535 (1.0 MB)
                  Interrupt:20 Base address:0xdf00

I have qwest as my isp, and I don't know what they do for ipv6, if that has anything to do with the problem. I am seeing some ipv6 timeout issues in some forums, but that still might not be the problem here.

Comment

Re: slow address resolution - dns or something else? [solved??]

I read this forum post on ipv6:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1120620&page=3

toward the middle there is a line to add a kernel argument to disable ipv6.

ipv6.disable=1

Then I had to figure out how to edit grub2 to make it do this.

I edited /etc/default/grub and included the ipv6.disable=1 in the "quiet splash" quotes.

cat /etc/default/grub
                    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
                    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
                    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
                    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
                    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
                    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash ipv6.disable=1"
                    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
                    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
                    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
                    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
                    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
                    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entrys
                    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

Upon reboot, the lookups are fast again.

I'm going to mark this as partially solved, because I am not sure if this was the approved fix, or if it is just a workaround.

The fact that nobody else has mentioned this as a problem leads me to believe - like the original poster in the linked thread - that some hardware is ok with ipv6, and some not. Going fully forward with ipv6 is an obvious choice, but the depths to search to find a workaround are a bit frustrating.

I'm not sure how a first time k/ubuntu user would respond - but I would imagine something along the lines of the original poster again - frustration, to the point of almost going to purchase windows instead of dealing with "free" linux.

The annoyance of clicking a link and having to wait 10-20 seconds for the page to respond, and then another 10 or more seconds to fully load [and pages like yahoo with lots of embedded links take minutes] really hurts the experience.

I hope that for the final release there is something better in store than just waiting for the timeouts, or having to search for posts like this.

Comment

Re: slow address resolution - dns or something else? [solved??]

Thank you suplero it is working for me (after upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 I had this problem)

Comment

Working...
                      X