This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ctrl-alt-backspace (again)

alright, i've put up with this for a while.
    i want my ctrl-alt-backspace back.
    i don't give a heck as to all the reasoning behind the disabling of this key combination.
    it's been ctrl-alt-backspace for just about the last 20 years.
    i don't see why i should change to altgr-sysrq-k.
    yeah, yeah...it's better, it's lower level, ..., but last time i tried it didn't work.
    and i don't give a heck if windoze users might hit this sequence by mistake (by mistake?).
    or that they could lose their sessions and data.
    windoze users use windoze.
    ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't restart x in windoze.
    and if they use kubuntu, they're no more windoze users than i am.
    if we keep changing this system to their liking (or simply to attract them), we'll end up with windoze.
    not something i particularly look forward to.

the "dontzap" package isn't available anymore.
    adding the "dontzap" option to xorg.conf is not an option.
    i don't have an xorg.conf on this system, for a start.
    and adding it the xorg.conf would mean enable it system wide.

the simplest way to do this is to add an option to the keyboard layout (plain swiss, in my case).
    the layout is set in a kde config file in the home directory.
    so, this has the added advantage of being set on a per user basis.

here:
    Code:
    ls -l .kde/share/config/kxkbrc
    -rw------- 1 myuser users 198 2009-08-19 22:35 .kde/share/config/kxkbrc
    the option that needs to be added is the following:
    Code:
    terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
    it is to be added to the "Options" property.
    so the file now looks like the following:
    Code:
    cat .kde/share/config/kxkbrc
    [Layout]
    DisplayNames=ch
    IndicatorOnly=false
    LayoutList=ch
    Model=pc104
    Options=lv3:ralt_switch,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
    ResetOldOptions=true
    ShowFlag=true
    ShowSingle=false
    SwitchMode=Global
    Use=true
    this stuff is applied by kde.
    so, all is needed to enable it is a logout/login sequence.

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Re: ctrl-alt-backspace (again)

Here is another way:

Install dontzap

sudo apt-get install dontzap

Disable dontzap

sudo dontzap --disable

Restart your computer

That’s it. You can restart your X using Ctrl + Alt + Backspace now.
    If you want to block Ctrl + Alt +Backspace then issue:

sudo dontzap --enable
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek:
      The "dontzap" approach doesn't work in karmic, newer X version.

@jankushka:
      You can set the option via systemsettings, as well:
      SystemSettings>Regional&Language>KeyboardLayout>Ad vanced>KeySequenceToKillXServer

In General:
      I don't really agree with the reasoning behind originally disabling ctrl-alt-backspace (xorg decision, not *buntu...I know), but since it is configurable I can certainly live with the decision.

And like jankushka already mentioned, the newer configuration approach has some advantages over "dontzap"

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        SystemSettings>Regional&Language>KeyboardLayout>Ad vanced>KeySequenceToKillXServer
        wonderful!

In General:
        I don't really agree with the reasoning behind originally disabling ctrl-alt-backspace (xorg decision, not *buntu...I know),
        but since it is configurable I can certainly live with the decision.
        now i know there's a flag in the keyboard settings, i can too.
        and i guess i shall have to start and trust this graphical interface system settings stuff.
        at least a bit more...

thanks everyone!

cheers
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

@GreyGeek:
          The "dontzap" approach doesn't work in karmic, newer X version.

@jankushka:

In General:
          I don't really agree with the reasoning behind originally disabling ctrl-alt-backspace (xorg decision, not *buntu...I know), but since it is configurable I can certainly live with the decision.

And like jankushka already mentioned, the newer configuration approach has some advantages over "dontzap"
          Didn't know that about DontZap, or the setting KeySequenceToKillXServer, either. Thanks! 8)
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

No! ... stick with fighting for C-A-Backspace .....

I have a KVM one of the wins of a KVM is I do not need to sit and watch a machine boot ... I power it up switch to another machine, the after a while switch back and it's ready .

With newer versions of X it annoyingly changes to a low setting of graphic display (presumably because it can't read my screen settings and actually setting the resolution in xorg.conf seems to have gone out of fashion)

...but that's OK I just C-A-Backspace and GDM picks up the correct resolution ...except that it no longer works ...setting my user keyboard prefs is no use BECAUSE I HAVE NOT logged on yet ... if I log on and off , the screen is fixed ... but I need to wait a while because otherwise various startup bits fails and the desktop becomes unusable ...the only safe option is to reboot and wait watching the boot sequence .

So for me boot now takes 100s of times longer than it the past .... I WANT C-A-Backspace back!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntu wiki
              This is due to the fact that "DontZap" is no longer an option in the X server and has become an option in XKB instead.
              check this for more info and a quick how
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/DontZap

@graemev, you prolly want to try it via HAL for your KVM issues.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Why don't you learn to use another shortcut instead of editing config files.

Try Alt-SysRq-k, this should kill all the processes in the current console including X.

Comment

i have no problem learning a new command.. but truth be told , when my X locks up first i reach for Ctrl-alt-bksp(cause i have used it for years...), then i just go to a tty and restart it by hand.

why should i have to learn a new shortcut for restarting X, what was wrong w/ the crtl+alt+bksp combo, i can understand wanting to disable it by default cause of possible problems to new users, guess that don't apply to me anymore, and as a new user i can't say i ever had a problem where i hit that combo by mistake. bringing me to the question why then if you disabling the feature, would you add another combo to do the same thing. now if it was infact to ease the transision of windows users, what does crtl+alt+bksp do in windows, it does nothing the key you want is delete. so it not even the same combo not that i really care, but does any one know exactly why the combo was changed? i can understand having to move the location of the code to another portion of the system but couldn't you use the same keycombo? or is there a difference between the two i am failing to see.
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

When I use Crtl +Alt +backspace it restarts the same user. I have none selected in login manager. I have it working on one box but not on the household box, it's a pain in the b***. Is there a fix for this? This is in Kububntu 10.04
                    Thanks

Comment

See ctrl-alt-backspace, part II by Rog131.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

mmm... That setting is NOT available in KDE 4.5's Systemsetting.

I've been browsing around in Systemsettings and if it is there it is successfully evading me.

Comment

Once there, click on the Layout tab and check Enable keyboard layouts, then click on the Advanced tab and you will see it. Click the + and you can then check the option to activate it.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            mmm... That setting is NOT available in KDE 4.5's Systemsetting.

I've been browsing around in Systemsettings and if it is there it is successfully evading me.
                            In 4.5, the systemsettings modules have moved around a bit, you can find it in InputDevices>Keyboard>Advanced>KeySequenceToKillXS erver

Comment

Ah, found it. On my KDE 4.5 it is under Hardware --> Input Devices --> Keyboard --> Advanced tab, where I checked "Configure keyboard options" and then opened "Key Sequence to kill the X server" and under it checked "Control + Alt + Backspace".

Comment

Working...
                              X