This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.10 kernal battery meter fixed?

Hey all, one of my negative experiences with most of Linux has been with the kernal; specifically, the battery meter. As I only have a laptop (and a powerful one it is) knowing my battery life and being able to change that is important to me (It's probably also worth noting that the TERMINATE signal used when shutting down does NOT turn off the computer, even though it unloads the OS and eventually just sits there with a blank screen, I have to do a hard shutdown)

Anyway, I've heard that the battery meter problems have been fixed since kernal .30, I'm just wondering, can anyone confirm this?

PS, I would check myself, but I've no idea how to start a KDM session, booting up the alpha just presents me with a text screen, as I imagine it should.

-Dante

Re: 9.10 kernal battery meter fixed?

mmm... it must be hardware dependent. My laptop is a Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H notebook. I am running Kubuntu 4.2.4 and PowerManagement keeps it my battery charged to 80% but no higher. When I run on battery I see the three levels of warnings I have set up and when my percentage drops below 5% it turns my latop off. Completely. No lights. Dead.

What's your hardware and what version of what desktop are you running?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

ASUS X50GL, Kubuntu 9.04.

I've confirmed it's a problem with the kernal, .25 had it fixed (Mandriva, Damn Small Linux and Kubuntu 8.04 had the problem sorted) and it was due to be fixed in .30.

This was also confirmed with a few other laptops, though I can't remember which ones.

Comment

mmm...

Although I recently upgraded to the *.30 kernel, the Power Manager has always worked for me on this notebook.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'm just unlucky as I picked one out of a few dozen laptop types that would just not give power information to the system.

Oh, I just tried the OpenSUSE unstable package with KDE 4.3, it worked there.

Currently downloading Sidux which has the same kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by DanteAshton
            I'm just unlucky as I picked one out of a few dozen laptop types that would just not give power information to the system.
            Currently downloading Sidux which has the same kernel.
            That happens, Dante. I was using Mandriva 2009 PWP pack and I could not get 3D accelerated video or 1600X900 line settings. I submitted a bug report to the Xord bugzilla in October of last year and patiently waited while I used Mandriva with a VESA video driver. I regularly monitored the bug report and noted steady progress on trying to fix the problem. About the middle of February they found a fix. I expected it to be in a subsequent release of the Intel-x86-video driver for Mandriva, sometime about the middle of the summer (about now). I was running KDE 4.1.2 and saw the Kubuntu was releasing 9.04 ALPHA5 featuring KDE4.2.1, and I wanted to try it. I burned an ISO and ran it LiveCD. I was STUNNED when I noticed that it came up in 3D accelerated video with 1600X900 resolution. I switched immediately and have had NO regrets. Kubuntu 9.04, for me, has been the best Linux desktop I have ever run. I am currently at 4.2.4 and can't wait till KDE 4.3 comes out. (I am not going to bypass the repository and install the beta).

There are LOTS of good, well supported distros out there. Allow me to recommend PCLinuxOS 2009.2 http://www.pclinuxos.com/

I ran it for three years with excellent results. It is one of those "Just Works" distros.
            For over a year of that time it was number #1 in page hits at DistroWatch. I left it because they didn't plan on switching to KDE4 until this Fall, but I noticed that the 2009.2 release on July 15th featured KDE4. The founder of PCLinuxOS is TexStar, who used to roll rpm packages for Mandrake and Mandriva. It intially was based on Mandriva but now is not, even though its names and appearance remind me of Mandriva. Up until Kubuntu 9.04 it was my all time favorite Linux distro. Who knows, if MONO creeps into Kubuntu it may be again.

Comment

Dante,
              I have been running Kubuntu 9.10 ALPHA3 in LiveCD mode all day today.

On my Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H the power meter works well.

Comment

Lovely! Thank you GreyGeek!

Comment

Working...
                X