X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing menu.lst in 64-Bit Karmic

Hi all,

I've noticed a thread about problems with Karmic Netbook and Grub2 (started by Fintan http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105278.0).

I had a similar problem with 64-bit Karmic dual-booting with 64-bit Jaunty (twin 160 Gig multi-partitioned hard-drives with some shared partitions for data and backups). I accidentally over-wrote the (hd0) grub entry from Jaunty when I installed Karmic. I corrected that following Rog131's excellent guide to "all things grub" to restore my Jaunty GRUB entry in (hd0). But when I re-installed Karmic Alpha3 and instructed the loader to install the Karmic GRUB into (hd1,4) - which is the root partition Karmic is installed to - I cannot find any menu.lst to copy from so that the relevant entries can be added to the Jaunty GRUB menu.lst entry in (hd0). Tried Configfile and Chainload; no luck

Re-installed Karmic with its GRUB entry in (hdo) and can select either Karmic or Jaunty but if you try to use KGrubEditor to change any entries it borks because it still cannot find menu.lst.

Is this a bug or a temporary problem which will resolve in time? And what is that small minix partition doing? Where did it come from?

Any explanations welcome!!

Re: Missing menu.lst in 64-Bit Karmic

Hi PhilT,

From what I understand, grub2 just doesn't use a menu.lst file, but rather a grub.cfg file. I did something similar to what you want to do (however I installed grub2 over grub, so I don't have a grub anymore - I'm not sure if you want to keep it ). I described it here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105308.0

Hope it helps!

Comment

Re: Missing menu.lst in 64-Bit Karmic

Adding a linux to the existing menu.lst (Legacy Grub)
      (adding Karmic to the Jaunty's grub menu)

> Qqmike's HOW TO: GRUB Methods - Toolkit

You need to know:
      • what is the partitions uuid
      • where is the kernel
      • where is the initrd

What is the partitions uuid

man blkid
      NAME
      blkid - command-line utility to locate/print block device attributes

SYNOPSIS
      blkid ...
      Example

at here the blkid will tell that for the /dev/sdb1 (where is my Karmic root):
      :~$ blkid
      /dev/sdb1: UUID="66d15cbe-ef37-488b-aaf0-f6c1cc3a4170" TYPE="ext4"

Where is the kernel
      a.k.a where is the "vmlinuz-2.6.31-4-generic"

Default is the root partitions /boot/ directory

=> /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-4-generic

(Your kernel version number may vary)

Where is the initrd
      a.k.a where is the "initrd.img-2.6.31-4-generic"

Default is the root partitions /boot/ directory

=> /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-4-generic

(Your kernel version number may vary)

So to the Legacy Grub's menu.lst, under the
      ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
      # ones.
      title Other operating systems:
      root

Template:
      Code:

# ones.
      title		Other operating systems:
      root

title		"Your title here."
      uuid		"Your UUUID code here"
      kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-"kernel number" root=UUID="Your UUID code here" ro quiet splash 
      initrd		/boot/initrd.img-"kernel number"
      quiet

At here:
      Code:

# ones.
      title		Other operating systems:
      root

title		Karmic (development branch), kernel 2.6.31-4-generic
      uuid		66d15cbe-ef37-488b-aaf0-f6c1cc3a4170
      kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-4-generic root=UUID=66d15cbe-ef37-488b-aaf0-f6c1cc3a4170 ro quiet splash 
      initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-4-generic
      quiet
      Note !
      You could copy those lines from the Kubuntu 9.04 part of the menu.lst. Change the kernel numbers and the UUID codes.

The Grub2

As the "melissawm" told the grub2 is not using the menu.lst. Here is a recent doc > Grub 2 Basics
      Introduction
      I've written this guide to present some very basic information about Grub 2. It is meant for users who may be familiar with basic editing of the original Grub (Grub Legacy) menu.lst and wonder how it carries over to Grub 2 (ver 1.97). I will not cover how to install or uninstall Grub 2 or whether you should convert to Grub 2.
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Missing menu.lst in 64-Bit Karmic (Solved)

Thanks to both for help; now re-installed and working properly. Particular thanks to Rog for his very helpful "How-To's". Your offerings are a real help to us less proficient users. Thank you very much. I noticed even Fintan had some bother with the new Grub2 settings and files!!

Comment

Working...
        X