This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] kpackagekit problems (errors)

I have two machines running Karmic. My laptop, which does not exhibit these problems, and my desktop which does.

Problem 1

To reproduce:
    1. Open kpackagekit.
    2. Enter plasma as a search term and search.

I get the following error:

Error Type: Error Value: sequence item 1: expected string, NoneType found File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1960, in main() File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1957, in main run(args, options.single) File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1919, in run backend.dispatcher(args) File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 643, in dispatcher self.dispatch_command(args[0], args[1:]) File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 599, in dispatch_command self.search_name(options, searchterms) File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 544, in search_name self._emit_visible_package(filters, pkg) File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1606, in _emit_visible_package self._emit_package(pkg, info) File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1585, in _emit_package id = self.get_id_from_package(pkg, force_candidate) File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1579, in get_id_from_package return get_package_id(pkg.name, version, pkg.architecture, origin) File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 667, in get_package_id return " ".join((name, version, arch, data))
    Problem 2

To reproduce:

1. Attempt to remove the package 'arora'.

Gives the following error:

Error Type: Error Value: global name 'rescursive_text' is not defined File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1960, in main() File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1957, in main run(args, options.single) File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1919, in run backend.dispatcher(args) File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 632, in dispatcher self.dispatch_command(args[0], args[1:]) File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 529, in dispatch_command self.get_requires(filters, package_ids, recursive) File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1298, in get_requires recursive = text_to_bool(rescursive_text)
    The obvious error here, is the typo 'rescursive_text' instead of 'recursive_text.'

I've manually corrected it, but I still get errors.

I would like to try reinstalling the package that contains '/usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py' as that seems to be where the problems are coming from, but I've been unable to find the package that contains it. I've tried the obvious ones like 'python-apt' and 'packagekit-backend-apt' and others, none seem to contain the problem file.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Andy
    "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Re: kpackagekit problems (errors)

Bugs:
    > ReportingBugs
    > How to create useful crash reports
    > Apport - Automatic crash reports
    > Bugs in The Karmic Koala

I filed a bug report:
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...it/+bug/395459

Meanwhile:
    > FAQ: Package Managers
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks!

I would have filed a bug report myself, but as only one machine is exhibiting the problem, I think it might just be from all the package changes. (I started with Alpha 1, and constantly updated it.)

If anyone is able to reproduce these problems, please speak up. Otherwise I'll assume it's probably just related to my playing with alphas.

-Andy
      "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Comment

Hi Andy, I also filed a bug report about the typo ("NameError" in pythonic terms)
        here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/packagekit/+bug/393326

First try remodifying with this command in the konsole
        "kdesudo kate /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py"

Now you will have to block "packagekit-backend-apt (0.4.8-0ubuntu1)" from being updated otherwise everytime you update your system "aptBackend.py" will be resetted. And yes it's in "packagekit-backend-apt".

"AptPinning" might seem like a remedy at this point but I don't suggest using it that's why devels will probably release an updated "packagekit-backend-apt" with some other extras soon and you may miss those extra features as well. Finally I like to thank Rog131 for all the links he has provided so far, they saved my life for many times before joining this forum. Cheers!

Comment

Bug #395459
          This bug was fixed in the package packagekit - 0.4.8-0ubuntu3
          > [ubuntu/karmic] packagekit 0.4.8-0ubuntu3 (Accepted)
          Sun Jul 5 04:10:17 BST 2009

packagekit (0.4.8-0ubuntu3) karmic; urgency=low

* Add debian/patches/ignore_packages_in_conffiles.patch to avoid crashes
          when packages that are obsolete but not purged are on the system.
          (LP: #395459)
          * Fix typo that caused a NameError on some operations. Thanks to Koray Eyinc
          (LP: #393326)
          That was quick
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: [solved] kpackagekit problems (errors)

Yes!

I just updated my packages and the issues are gone.

Excellent work. I wish I had spoken up or filed a bug report sooner. I just assumed it was something wrong on my end.

Thanks everyone!

-Andy

Comment

Working...
            X