This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wicd not detecting network in karmic alpha 2

I wasn't surprised that network manager didn't work in karmic as it didn't detect my dsl connection in jaunty, but I was surprised when wicd which does detect the dsl connection in jaunty does not detect it in karmic.

In Jaunty, wicd shows a wired connection and allows me to enter scripts "pon dsl-provider" for startup and "poff dsl-provider" for shut down. In karmic, wicd does not detect a network at all and I cannot enter any scripts as it thinks there is no connection, wired, wireless or anything else.
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Re: wicd not detecting network in karmic alpha 2

I think wicd no longer conflicts with network-manager and in the process of upgrading you may have ended up with networks configured in /etc/network/interfaces. I think if you comment all but
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    in interfaces and possibly remove any package with network-manager in its name, it will work again. You may need to restart networking to get wicd in control.

Comment

I removed network manager before I installed wicd. I didn't try to configure anything with network manager as it couldn't detect any.

I used pppoeconf to connect which ends with the option to use pon dsl-provider.

ifconfig shows the two lines listed

Comment

I am running wicd on Karmic without any problems.
        Is your card recognised? (lspci)

Run ifconfig eth0. Should show wired connection
        Run ifconfig wlan0. Anything there?
        Also ifconfig. Should show everything there - if any.

Purge network-manager.
        Make sure you have only the two lines mentioned above showing.
        Did you try ifup wlan0? (And ifdown wlan0 just for the heck of it as well?) It worked for me before when I could not see any network connection - wired or wireless.

Finally, I always try a 'sudo dhclient' on the command line. It will try to connect to any and all possibilities. If anything is there, it will connect.

In a few rare cases, doing a 'refresh' in wicd has mysteriously produced a list of connection that was not shown before.

Comment

The card is recognized -

08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5753M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21)
          10:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

ifconfig shows lo and etho - with no activity
          after running pppoeconf then ifconfig shows lo, eth0 and ppp0 with activity on eth0 and ppp0

I had already purged nm - first step before installing wicd
          I don't have access to a wireless network and have it turned off

sudo dhclient
          evin@kk:~$ sudo dhclient
          Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.2
          Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
          All rights reserved.
          For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
          SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
          Listening on LPF/pan0/fa:f9:a5:cf:4e:1f
          Sending on LPF/pan0/fa:f9:a5:cf:4e:1f
          Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:13:02:31:98:c9
          Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:13:02:31:98:c9
          Listening on LPF/eth0/00:16:d4:05:27:a2
          Sending on LPF/eth0/00:16:d4:05:27:a2
          Sending on Socket/fallback
          DHCPDISCOVER on pan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
          receive_packet failed on wlan0: Network is down
          DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
          DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
          send_packet: Network is down
          DHCPDISCOVER on pan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
          DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
          DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
          DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 19
          DHCPDISCOVER on pan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
          DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
          DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
          DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
          DHCPDISCOVER on pan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
          DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
          DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
          DHCPDISCOVER on pan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
          DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
          No DHCPOFFERS received.
          No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
          kevin@kk:~$

I should mention that I ran this while connected to the forum and answering this

Comment

In System Settings-> Advanced -> Hardware, is wicd at the top for networking? I am not sure how much difference that really makes but it seems to be another controller thrown into the mix to confuse things even further.

Comment

Thanks Mando. It displays Network Manager 0.7, wicd and Fake Net. I moved network manager down and now wicd is the default.

After pppoeconf again, wicd found the wired connection and allowed me to enter pre connect and disconnect scripts.

However, on trying to connect, it shows 'connecting' then shows disconnected, although I'm connected.

I tried this in Jaunty too and found that my Jaunty does not show wicd, only network manager and fake net.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                In System Settings-> Advanced -> Hardware, is wicd at the top for networking? I am not sure how much difference that really makes but it seems to be another controller thrown into the mix to confuse things even further.

I am showing network- manager and fake net, not wicd.
                But I am happily running on wicd, wired and wireless.

Rarely even wicd needs some coaxing. I also had instances in the past when no connections were shown at all while I was connected to the Net.

When this happens I do systematically clean up all possible settings.
                Beginning with ifconfig (to see what shows), iwlist . . . scan (to check for detected wireless access points), dhclient and, if need be, ifup (eth0 or wlan0 or whatever the wireless is) preceded by a ifdown.

For some strange reason this does sometimes fix it. And, of course, the files (network/interfaces; resolv.conf).

PPoE setup for the (wireless) router is sometimes a little tricky. It took me several attempt before I got it right.

Comment

I probably need to change the title to something like "wicd not working well in Karmic for pppoe"

Obviously, it works well for both wired and wireless connections for many users. I recently discovered that it was causing my system to crash frequently, as ofter as every few minutes. Once I removed wicd, the system is stable. I'm still using wicd in Jaunty, but in Karmic I can confirm that it is VERY unstable for pppoe connections.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc
                    . . . I'm still using wicd in Jaunty, but in Karmic I can confirm that it is VERY unstable for pppoe connections.

Running Karmic, latest update, with wicd on pppoe.
                    No problem whatsoever.
                    this has not changed since I installed and am using Karmic on a daily basis for much of my work.

The on issue with wicd on my computer is that after some of the update wicd comes up not showing the wireless connection it actually is connected to. That changes after a while and all wireless connections are shown.

I can live with that.

Comment

Hmmm, that's interesting.

Since I've installed wicd on Karmic, the connection is very unstable. At the most it would connect for a few minutes. At the worst, maybe ten seconds. It wasn't just disconnecting, and I suspected the ISP, but on Jaunty I've downloaded CD images and been connected for hours with no problems at all. Usually within a few minutes running Karmic everything froze, I couldn't open a terminal or do anything except power off.

Working on another problem with the synaptics touchpad, I removed wicd and instantly the problem was fixed. Since then, I haven't had a single freeze on Karmic, and I haven't added or removed any other programs. I first suspected wicd as everytime I used it I wanted to update and upgrade so obviously needed to use wicd.

Glad it works for you, but I'm quite happy using pon dsl-provider once each session to connect. I don't know, but it may even improve the battery life as wicd seemed to not recognize the connection and was searching for a connection. Also, system settings > advanced > hardware still has network manager which was removed and doesn't see wicd yet. At least wicd works OK in Jaunty. Do you have any other ideas?

Comment

I just noticed that you are using a laptop. Maybe that causes the problem.

I am using a desktop.

Don't know why it should make a difference.
                        Also: I downloaded my wicd (.deb package) directly from their website and installed it the old-fashioned way.

Comment

Working...
                        X