This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only sound is on startup & shutdown

As the topic says I don't have any sound except the occasional startup & shutdown. I do get crackling sound when a new email arrives in Thunderbird. Am I on my own? What sound app are you running? mine is pulseaudio.

Any help would help.

Thanks Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Re: Only sound is on startup & shutdown

One thing to try:
    Open KMix, click on the Mixer button, and check to see if the PCM channel is active. It's the one with the blue squiggly line. If not, add it from settings>configure channels.
    This happened to me when I first set up pulseaudio, and it turns out that the PCM channel is what pipes pulseaudio into alsa. If that's cranked down, all you get is static.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Here the default output device is NVidia nForce2 with ALC650F. If i try to use the PulseAudio: " The audio playback device PulseAudio does not work..."

The PulseAudio has never worked at here (Intrepid/Jaunty). Maybe some bits & pieces are missing but as the audio is working fine i have not tried to fix it.
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I have tried adding myself to the audio & pulse groups & other suggestions & still get the crackling sound in lieu of audio. I also went into the system settings & made my intel audio card the default & made pulseaudio the last but still no change! I checked the kmix console & pcm is the default controller.

Ah well I will have to wait to see if pulse gets some rework to fix.

Cary
        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

This classic is still a good troubleshooting guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

I guess I'm lucky -- my sound seems to work regardless of how I set the preferences in Settings>Multimedia>Audio. Both of these settings let me play music:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X