X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow dns in firefox

Hi

I have constant dns problems when browsing with firefox. The browser regularly gets stuck in 'looking up blah.com', often taking a minute or so to free itself. My router is a Netgear WGR 614v6 which I've configured to use opendns. I've disabled IPv6 in firefox, as advised here http://en.opensuse.org/Disable_IPv6_for_Firefox

Any suggestions?

regards
    Barry

Re: slow dns in firefox

I had the same problem when I was using comcast with google dns. I switched to verizon and it improved somewat, but still was slow. I followed these instructions http://www.junauza.com/2010/05/hacks...ster-than.html and the trouble went away. Best to do a backup of your pref.js file before doing this.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the suggested changes to firefox, and also I tried changing my dns to use google's, but I haven't seen any improvement so far,

regards
      Barry

Comment

I'm having the same problem with all browsers, konquerer, Firefox, and Chrome. I'm connected with Comcast via Comcasts Motorola Surfboard Cable modem wired to a linksys WRT54G router via my gigabyte GA M61PME S2P Motherboard onboard Ethernet connection. I tried the IP6 thing and the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 server .4 wouldn't connect. Windows machines connect super fast and if I run the speedtest speakeasy.com upload and download speeds are normal.

This is driving me bonkers. Help please! When I hit "Post" below there will be a long delay then boom! things load.

Comment

Hmmm, I'm using the Google DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, and they are working great. Maybe another problem than DNS?

Comment

Working...
          X