X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Network confusion in Karmic

I have a problem with wired networking.

Actually, I probably have an installation problem. I'm running Kubuntu 9.10. On the "Kickoff Application Launcher" under "System," there are two network managers. One issues the command network-admin. The other issues the command knetworkmanager.

Looking at running tasks, I see root is running "NetworkManager" and I am running knetworkmanager. When I start network-admin, it looks like a Gnome app. It has all the settings I want with a fixed IP, fixed gateway, and the correct nameservers.

Whenever I start Kubuntu, the application which I believe is knetworkmanager starts up with the active interface "ifupdown (eth0)" It picks up an address via DHCP which is not the address I want, and configures nameservers in some strange way. Basically, I cannot use the Internet in this condition.

There is another interface shown, "eth0." If I click this, the eth0 interface is activated, I get the configuration I created, and all is well.

From the launcher, under "Manage User Settings," I can click the network settings icon. First, this gives me two error dialogs about failures to parse the XML file (). Then under Network Connections->Wired it shows me a configuration for eth0 which is correct.

The bottom left icon ("Network Settings") leads me to another configuration screen.

On this screen, "Network Interfaces" tab is completely grayed-out. The "Routes" and "Domain Name System" tabs are too.

The "Network Profiles" tab has no profiles shown, and three active buttons to enable a profile, create a profile, and delete a profile. You can click on them, but nothing happens!

An upgrade to 10.04 LTS won't work because my UPS monitoring daemon (Eaton PowerWare) errors out in glibc. Does anyone have any idea to share about how I can get this system into shape where it will come up with the interface I configured as the active one. I suppose if I knew what to remove and add add back with apt-get, I could make a go of it. I'm not a newbie to TCP/IP, and I've written a small script file that will set up eth0 the way I want it. Unfortunately "ifupdown (eth0)" seems to always win the battle over who gets to control the interface.

I tried apt-get remove ifupdown, and that succeeded--but it made no difference at the next reboot. "ifupdown (eth0)" still won.

Please, any ideas?

John Moore

Re: Network confusion in Larmic

Yep. Just follow my instructions here.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

Re: Network confusion in Karmic

THANK YOU!!!

I had to make a few changes to apply your work to my situation. Primarily, I started Synaptic Package Manager searched for "network" and uninstalled not only the packages you mentioned, but also anything else that appeared related to automatic network management. This included gnome-network-management which indeed provided the network-admin command I mentioned in my post.

When restarting networking, I received a very helpful error message that told me there was a misconfiguration in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf, and told me what to change ([ifupdown] managed=false). I did that, and issued the networking restart command again. This time there were no errors.

I rebooted the system, and while I miss the Plasma widget, it is a real pleasure not to have to go through the gyrations previously required to get the system up on my network.

Comment

Working...
      X