X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help With Wireless connection!

Hi guys!

I'm extremely new to linux. I downloaded Kubuntu 9.10 in my laptop (Sony VPCF111FD) and there are a few things that I can't get to work. First, my wireless card is not working. I don't know how to tell kubuntu to detect my wireless and make it work . I am very very new to linux and I have no idea how i can fix this problem. But I really want to try to learn how to work on linux .

My second problem is the sound. I tried playing a song but I couldn't hear anything. . Please somebody help me!

Re: Need Help With Wireless connection!

First off. Welcome to the party

For basic problems I would suggest reading dibles thread here:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

As for specific questions (wireless, etc) I would suggest posting a thread with a different title.

Something like:
    cannot connect wireless (card version and type) on Karmic.

Specific titles will attract people with experience in that domain.

While we are at it try and post the specs to your machine.
    CPU, video-, audio-, network cards, RAM, etc.

I hope this gets you rolling and enjoy
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hey guys!

I am really new to linux and I know nothing about the terminal commands and other stuff like that . I installed Kubuntu 9.10 and I realized that linux is not detecting my wireless card. I have a Sony VPCF111FD and my wireless card is an Atheros AR9287. I believe that linux supports Atheros better than others, but I just can't get mine to work. Please help me.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Is your Sony a 32- or 64-bit CPU? And if the latter, did you install the 64-bit version of Kubuntu?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Please do not multi-post questions. You have posted this question in two places. This makes it difficult to follow and can lead to confusion.

Pick a board you believe is appropriate to the question and post there. If a Moderator feels that it is in the wrong place, they will move it for you.

Okay, 'nuf of the 'hard line' statements. Welcome to KFN. You've found a very nice resource. Lot's of good people here, with varying degrees of experience and knowledge. If you have not already done so, please read the two topics posted under the Welcome on the main page of KFN.

Topics have been 'merged'

Comment

Sorry about posting in 2 different places, I didn't notice I did that , hehe.
            As for 32 or 64 bit, I have a 64 bit computer and I installed the 64 bit Kubuntu as well.

Comment

1) Are you able to connect via wire - to a Router or ADSL modem?
              2) Are/were you able to connect to the Internet - wirelessly - running the LiveCD (or did you use the Alternate CD for your installation?)?

Comment

Well I have dual-Booting with windows. In windows, I am able to connect wirelessly to a router and adsl modem.
                I haven't run the LiveCD, I just downloaded Kubuntu 9.10 and installed with Wubi.

Does all this make a change to make linux recognize my wireless card? . Sorry, I'm just very lost, hehe

Comment

Originally posted by gionux
                  I just downloaded Kubuntu 9.10 and installed with Wubi.
                  Okay, see, this is important information. You are running Kubuntu 'inside of' Windows, and not as a fully installed 'by itself' OS on your PC.

Do your self a favor, and create a LiveCD of Kubuntu 9.10 from the LiveCD .iso you can get here. On this page, just select a location to download from (area closest to where you are). DO NOT check the check box below the Start Download button, or you will not get the LiveCD .iso file.

Once downloaded, you can use the K3b CD & DVD Burning application in Kubuntu (under K > Multimedia > K3b) to create the LiveCD. You want to select Burn image. When it's finished, close all programs, exit/close Kubuntu and then in Windows, shutdown/reboot with the newly burned LiveCD in the tray. If you PC BIOS is set to boot from CD first, and you did the burn correctly, you should boot into the Kubuntu LiveCD. From the menu you will see, choose the option to try Kubuntu - DO NOT AT THIS TIME CHOOSE TO INSTALL KUBUNTU.

If all is well, you should end up with a Kubuntu KDE Desktop. From there, see if your wireless connection is available (so, of course, when you reboot your PC, unplug your wired connection).

Comment

So you are saying that I can't make my wireless card work on dual-booting? I can just do it by always putting the LiveCD? Then what would be the point of wubi?

Comment

No, that isn't what I'm saying. I'm suggesting that you give Karmic 9.10 a try from a LiveCD environment. Basically, if everything you expect to work does so from a LiveCD, then 1) the hardware is compatible with the OS 'as is' and 2) installing the OS should also result in a fully working system. But, you are running Kubuntu as a Wubi install, and that "could" have some effect on things. I'll be the first to say that I have zero experience with Wubi - I have never used it.

Comment

Oh okay! I get it now. I'll try doing that then. Thanks a lot!

But then how can I have windows and kubuntu at the same time if using Wubi is not good?

Comment

Again, I'm not saying anything other than 'test it.' We need to know if Kubuntu 9.10 will see/work with your wireless 'natively' - from a pure Kubuntu environment (from the LiveCD).

Comment

try easy way first..
                            go to: k>applications>System>Hardware Drivers
                            and check if wireless driver is listed there.. if so.. install it.. and u will be ready to go
                            asus A52N
                            Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                            AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                            windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Working...
                            X