This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable knetworkmanager

I would like to get rid of knetworkmanager that is automatically started when logging in to KDE. Unfortunately, I'm completely unable to find any corresponding setting anywhere. I also tried to find a file in ~/.kde/share that I can edit, but also there I can't find anything.
    Is anybody able to help?

Background:
    To connect to my institutes network, I need to use OpenVPN. Unfortunately, knetworkmanager (i.e. plasma-widget-network-manager or plasma-widget-networkmanagement in karmic) is buggy and I am not able to open a VPN connection using it. Instead, I would like to use GNOMES's nm-applet. I can kill knetworkmanager and start nm-applet manually, no problem. Unfortunately, whenever I relogin, knetworkmanager is back again.

Re: How to disable knetworkmanager

Install wicd. The install process will remove knetwork manager and replace it with wicd which is a much better program. However I have never used it on a VPN. I don't use KDE any more so I am not sure where to go to enable/disable knetwork manager at startup. Someone else will post an answer to that, I'm sure.

Comment

K>system setings>advanced>Autostart click add program then add the one you want to run/notrun at startup ........so I gess youd add them both then disabel one and enabel the other .............but I havent tested this the way you want but have used it for others.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
        Install wicd.
        Of course, simply deinstalling it would solve it for me. However, the machine is used not only by me, and other users might want to use knetworkmanager. Therefore this is not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
          K>system setings>advanced>Autostart click add program then add the one you want to run/notrun at startup ........so I gess youd add them both then disabel one and enabel the other .............but I havent tested this the way you want but have used it for others.
          Unfortunately, the knetworkmanager startup is not triggered via the Autostart system settings, so I cannot disable it there. I tried to put in knetworkmanager there and then disable it, but it didn't work, as I expected.
          Apparently, knetworkmanager is started via /usr/share/autostart/kde4-knetworkmanager-autostart.desktop . And no, this doesn't solve my problem: I do not want to disable autostarting knetworkmanager in general, but only for my user account. Other user accounts should be untouched.
          Does anybody habe an idea?

Comment

Finally, I have found a solution, after I had a look at /usr/share/autostart/kde4-knetworkmanager-autostart.desktop

The configuration file repsonsible for knetworkmanager is not ~/.kde/share/config/knetworkmanagerrc, instead it is ~/.kde/share/config/networkmanagementrc. After I add the line
            Code:
            Autostart=false
            into the section [General], knetworkmanager doesn't automatically start anymore.

Comment

But doesn't that mean it no longer starts for all users?

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                But doesn't that mean it no longer starts for all users?
                Should not, because the settings in $KDEHOME (e.g., ~/.kde) are local to the user.

Comment

Working...
                X