X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Wireless Connections: Acer Aspire One, running Karmic

Acer Aspire One, running Kubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

My Acer Aspire has worked very happily with a number of home wireless networks as well as public Wi-Fi in a number of the usual places like Starbucks, and on the East Coast main line. I recently got a Vodafone 3g dongle, and as part of the process of trying to make it work, I seem to have stopped my system's ability to connect to wireless networks. I'm running 9.10, which doesn't recognise Vodafone dongles out of the box, so I installed some packages from the Betavine respositories to try to make the dongle work. These included

ozerocdoff_0.4-2_i386.deb
    usb-modeswitch_0.9.7_i386.deb
    vodafone-mobile-connect_2.10.01-1_all.deb

I also installed an extra Kde package, Kwlan, in an attempt to try to detect the dongle. Unfortunately this seemed to have adverse effects on my system. First to disappear was the network icon on the top bar, then the KnetworkManager icon disappeared, and I lost the ability to connect to my wireless network.

I'm paying the penalty for working too quickly, and in an unplanned way, and I would welcome suggestions on what I should do to get a wireless network connection again; once I've done that I'll try to make the Vodafone connection work.

What I know is

1. The network light at the bottom right of the keyboard is on
    2. When I change the boot order, and run a live Ubuntu 9.04 USB stick, the machine detects wireless networks, and the little turning icon on the top bar appears
    3. Everything else on my default Kubuntu 9.10 installation works, apart from the wireless networking, and I can access the internet using a network cable to my router.

Help gratefully received!

Re: Lost Wireless Connections: Acer Aspire One, running Karmic

I've installed the network manager, now called

"plasma-widget-networkmanagement"

with the script

<sudo apt-get install plasma-widget-networkmanagement>

I've also run

<sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic>

and

<sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wirelsss-karmic-generic>

but I'm still not able to access my wireless network.

Comment

[Solved]: Lost Wireless Connections: Acer Aspire One, running Karmic

Full story on this, which is a little inconclusive, is posted here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...35#post8870235.

Might be some useful options in there for someone in the same situation.

Comment

Working...
      X