X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadcom BCM4312 - no more wireless

Hello All,

HP dv4-1125nr - Broadcom BCM4312 wireless - Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala - KDE 4.3.2

Wireless was working fine for months after I installed the restricted Broadcom STA wireless driver. Then it suddenly stopped working: the wireless light remains red no matter what I do to try to correct it, following the suggestions here and in other forums.

As far as I remember, the only modification outside the official packages was upgrading VirtualBox to its latest version (3.1.2 r56127).

Any help will be appreciated.

Pipoca
    S. Paulo - Brazil

Re: Broadcom BCM4312 - no more wireless

STUPID ME!

RTFM!!!

I didn't know that wireless can be turned on/off by touching its light on the panel. Mad with this problem, I smashed it with my thumb and voilà: it turned blue. Bad contact, I thought. Touched it again and... red; again and... blue.

I deserve the lost time in trying to find the solution for a problem that didn't exist in the first place.

Thank you all for your interest and please forgive my stupidity.

Originally posted by Pipoca
    Hello All,

HP dv4-1125nr - Broadcom BCM4312 wireless - Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala - KDE 4.3.2

Wireless was working fine for months after I installed the restricted Broadcom STA wireless driver. Then it suddenly stopped working: the wireless light remains red no matter what I do to try to correct it, following the suggestions here and in other forums.

As far as I remember, the only modification outside the official packages was upgrading VirtualBox to its latest version (3.1.2 r56127).

Pipoca
    S. Paulo - Brazil

Comment

STUPID ME!

RTFM!!!

I didn't know that wireless can be turned on/off by touching its light on the panel. Mad with this problem, I smashed it with my thumb and voilà: it turned blue. Bad contact, I thought. Touched it again and... red; again and... blue.

I deserve the lost time in trying to find the solution for a problem that didn't exist in the first place.

Thank you all for your interest and please forgive my stupidity.

Hello All,

Pipoca
      S. Paulo - Brazil
      Consider yourself lucky, My Dell 1545 has no light and there is no way to tell if it is on or off. I reached too high for the number 2 button and turned it off, There should be a safety switch on those things. After reinstalling everything, it still didn't work, then I tried it. LOL
      Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Hi,
        I went through a great deal to try to get this puppy to work in Kubuntu 11.04. The final solution - for my rig (HP DV6233se) was to uninstall the bcmwl-kernel-source. I did confirm that the bcm43xx was blacklisted and removed the blacklist - didn't work. No fix on the broadcom sta driver ever worked. But after installing firmware-b43-installer (which automatically brought in cutter) I could get it to work, but I had to log into a terminal every time @ boot up and type in sudo modprobe b43. It was only after removing the above source file and rebooting that my rig came up with a working wireless for Kubuntu 11.04. Hope this is useful for someone else.

Peace

Comment

Working...
        X