This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howto configure laptop as wireless bridge

My HTPC currently has a non working wireless ethernet connection. For this connection to work, I need to install some additional packages. I'm trying to configure a laptop as a bridge between the wired HTPC and the wireless internet.

I use WICD as the network manager. When I connect the wired network, the wireless is disconnected automatically. How can I enable both the wired and the wireless network interface?

Re: howto configure laptop as wireless bridge

I run wicd on a 64b KK installation and it allows me to plug in an eth cable from the back of the same wireless router that I used to normally make a connection. Both stay active at the same time. The second one to install has an IP address one greater than the first, i.e., 192.168.1.101.

However, is what you are looking for ap forwarding with masquerading? If so, one solution would be to install the GuardDog firewall GUI (to iptables) and GuideDog, a compliment to GuardDog, which specifically has GUI management of NAT, IP Forwarding, and Masquerading. THey are in the repository.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      I run wicd on a 64b KK installation and it allows me to plug in an eth cable from the back of the same wireless router that I used to normally make a connection. Both stay active at the same time.
      Are you positive? I have a Linksys Wireless-G (WRT54GL) that I also use to connect wired and wireless using WICD, and I can't get both to be active at the same time.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have the same WRT54GL router. Although all is wired now, I used to run it using both. It worked properly with no configuration needed by me.

Comment

How did/do you get both, the wired and wireless connections to run - be active - at the same time?

Comment

I plugged a usb wireless thingie into one computer and ran a wire from the other. The only thing that was different from what I'm doing now is that it was all DHCP then. That setup ran for many months. Actually, come to think of it, I had a wireless card on a Linux box using static for a while too. Sorry I can't be more informative other than to say that the router is v1.1.

To me there is an interesting side to this, because the wireless Linux box stopped connecting and I never did get it going again. I even changed the Linux distro a number of times. I had thought that the card conked out, but your situation makes me think there is some other possibility.

Comment

Yup. Pretty sure. Have done it several times. But, just to be sure, I'll plug in my eth cable while my wireless is connected.
              ... standby ...

I was string out the eth cable when a friend whose computer I converted gto KK 9.10 came by to pick up his laptop. He was thrilled with it, by the way! 8)

But, since I had the eth cable strung out and his laptop was connected to my wireless router I plugged it in and ....
              I was wrong. The wicd turned off the wireless when it connected to the eth cable. When I yanked the cable I had to click on the wireless icon to start it up.

I think I "assumed" both would remain connected because I used to use two eth cards in my old Linux desktop, running with ip forwarding and masquerading set, to enable my wife's and son's computers to access the internet through my Linux desktop. Both were active and in the routing table. One card was connected to the modem and the other card went to a passive router. My wife and son connected their computers to the passive router.

Sorry about the misinformation, folks!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Multiple nic cards - that would make sense. I didn't think one could have both, their wired AND wireless connections 'active' at the same time with only one nic in the PC.

Comment

Working...
                X