This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Support 9.10 64bit - No Connectiion

Upgraded my laptop from 8.04 to 9.10 - no internet connection - neither wired nor wireless work. Have used every version of Kubuntu since 6.06 always worked before. Both wired and wireless work under Ubuntu but none work in Kubuntu. The wired network worked in Kubuntu for about three days but quit - wireless never worked. Tried to reinstall kdenetwork but it was not on Synaptic's selection list. Both Ubuntu & Kubuntu are installed on the same ext3 file system. How can I fix Kubuntu?

Re: Network Support 9.10 64bit - No Connectiion

does iwconfig / ifconfig show devices ?

Originally posted by JonPiper
    Tried to reinstall kdenetwork but it was not on Synaptic's selection list.
    i believe you want to install the plasma-widget-network-manager
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for your response.

I ran iwconfig and ifconfig in Kubuntu - no connections; Ubuntu showed a full range of connections. In fact I am sending this from Ubuntu. KdeNetwork showed up in Synaptic but no plasma network manager; I installed it but no success with a connection. ifconfig & iwconfig showed no connections. What is the package name and program name for the plasma network manager?

Thanks.
      Jon

Comment

the package name is plasma-widget-network-manager (and i just reinstalled to varify name).

under ubuntu what drivers are you cards using? check to see if there running also in kubuntu using lsmod.

Comment

sithlord48:

"plasma-widget-network-manager" works like a charm. Had a problem finding it because it isn't listed in Synaptic or anywhere else I could find; but "apt-get install plasma-widget-network-manager" installed it without a hitch.

Now if I could keep KWallet from popping up every time I use my connection, I'll be all set. KWallet doesn't serve any useful purpose that I can see because all you have to do is hit "cancel" a couple of times and it goes away.

Thank you for taking the time and interest to find and answer my question. It people like you that make this forum and Kubuntu work.

Blessing,
          jon

Comment

a quick tip about kwallet , when setting the password for your wallet. if you set it to nothing it will never bother you again when it needs to use the wallet (unless its asking to store). if you look around the forum you should be able to find further guidance on disabling it.

btw you are most welcome for the help

Comment

Working...
            X