This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's the best folder syncing app

subject pretty much says it. i simply need a app to sync music/pics/etc between a couple computers. i appreciate your suggestions.

thanks
    guy

Re: what's the best folder syncing app

Hi,

I am using grsync. I think, to make it work best, you should have both rsync and ssh installed in both computers, and maybe use this tip for passwordless login from one into the other:

http://blog.pcode.nl/2008/01/23/easy...sh-and-grsync/

For browsing the remote machine, I use the fish protocol in dolphin. For example:

Code:
    fish://remoteuser@remote.computer.com/media/disk/data/youtube
    in dolphin would translate as

Code:
    remoteuser@remote.computer.com:/media/disk/data/youtube
    in grsync. It works quite well. I wish there was a simpler solution though ... (basically, we need rsync on top of Dolphin, the same way we have ssh over Dolphin (aka fish).

Hope this helps you out!

Comment

I am very happy using unison (in packages) - I've not used grsync, but from the description unison looks like a more sophisticated program. It has a lovely interface, is easy to use, and if you use some scripting language you can complex syncing procedures across multiple computers. I have written a little Ruby script to sync about 50 dirs and files between two computers. I get excellent results.

Comment

Good point. Another robust solution for larger setups is bacula (is this the default backup solution in Ubuntu?)

http://www.bacula.org/en/

Since I am just syncing media with some external devices, grsync works better for my needs. My backups are done nightly, using a shell-script and rsync

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll have to look into them once I figure out how to share folders on my network.

Comment

Working...
          X