This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 9.10 netbook edition

i have a samsung NP-N130 netbook that i put kubuntu 9.10 netbook version on, and my problem is that the wireless does not work..if i click on the internet icon in the top panel it DOES have a checkmark in the "enable wireless" box but if i go to the system settings where it shows all the types of network connections the wireless option is greyed out so i cant click on it. i do beleive i have the atheros nic because i typed in a certain command in the terminal it shows the info for the nic and it's atheros, this is quite different from when i installed the regular ubuntu on my netbook as that one did not have any option for wireless at all so i know that kubuntu is detecting the nic and driver but for some reason its not working. I also once opened blacklist-ath_pci.conf file in the nano editor and when it opened the first time it said that "the nic and driver were detected but for some reason not loaded and then it just went into a state that it could not recover from' thats kind of a paraphrase of the message but it was along those lines. i believe that kubuntu will work better on my netbook than all the other distro i've tried if i could just get this network problem solved..any help i would appreciate it.

thank you

Re: kubuntu 9.10 netbook edition

Two comments - neither will be too helpful to you:

1. I initially tried K9.10 on my HP-110 netbook, but abandoned it. I missed all the options available on regular 9.10, which I've now been using for a couple of months. I wouldn't go back, period.

2. Wireless network detection hasn't worked for me on Kubuntu 9.10, either. Ever. I see others having trouble with it as well. Some people report success, but I cannot replicate it, I beginning to lose hope. I hope you have better luck! My netbook accesses wireless networks just fine, with WinXP, so it's not a hardware problem.

t.

Comment

Re: kubuntu 9.10 netbook edition

FWIW - This is from the LinuxMint Wiki page, but has helped me several times on 'buntu-based wireless issues.

http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi

Keep in mind that Mint main edition is Gnome based, but there of course is a KDE edition as well, so the guide is still useful.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
      X