This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to detect wireless router

I am setting up my first router - a Netgear WGR614. My desktop is connected via network cable, to the router, and I've gone entirely through the manual setup. Now I want my netbook to connect using the wireless feature. I cannot grasp how to do this. This has already taken four hours, and I'm out of time.

A while back, over a week ago, before I even thought about wireless connectivity, when I booted up my netbook, I'd get a system tray icon that would tell me what wireless networks were available. I'd get at least 3 - my neighbors, I suppose.

Now that I actually have my own router with wireless capability, I cannot figure how to connect my netbook to it. There's a little icon in the system tray that pictures a network cable that is NOT plugged in (that's correct - it's not, to the netbook). When I right-click it, a box comes up which has an "enable wireless" box that is checked. There is also a "manage connections" item which can be clicked to access the "Network and Connectivity" options in system settings. Of course, I have no idea what any of THAT is about or how to use it, and it's wonderfully unclear.

I've played with "Network connections", to the very limited extent I grasp any of it. No results.

I don't know how to get past this ignorance problem I'm having. I've not, so far, been able to find any useful information anywhere. I'm not too sure what to look for, in truth.

I just connected my netbook using the WinXP OS it came with. The problem is my lack of knowhow with the Kubuntu I loaded (and prefer).

Can someone give me a clue as to how to get my laptop to SEARCH for wireless networks, and then, if one is found, how to get connected? I'm ready with my username and password, but have nowhere to put them!

Thanks for any help...

t.

Re: how to detect wireless router

Do you know if you are using the 'standard' networkmanager, or have you installed Wicd? Have your left-clicked on the connection icon? In Wicd - I'm connected by 'wire' at the moment - when I click on the 'network cable' connection icon, I'm presented with an available network list, showing my connected wired connection and all available wireless connections as well.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Do you know if you are using the 'standard' networkmanager, or have you installed Wicd? Have your left-clicked on the connection icon? In Wicd - I'm connected by 'wire' at the moment - when I click on the 'network cable' connection icon, I'm presented with an available network list, showing my connected wired connection and all available wireless connections as well.
      My first problem is knowing almost nothing about wireless. After hours of looking, I've found only outdated material to read on the WWW, or stuff that is nonsense to me. For example, at the Ubuntu 9.10 documentation site - https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/interne...-wireless.html, which sounds appealingly simple, I read:

1. Ensure that your wireless device is turned on.
      2. Click the NetworkManager icon in the system notification area.
      3. Under Wireless Networks click on the network you want to connect to.

As previously stated, my "wireless device" is fine - I connect to it effortlessly with my WinXP OS.

#2: WHAT icon. No such animal has ever been seen on my Kubuntu 9.10. I reinstall NetworkManager and its plasma interface, from Synaptic. No change.
      #3: Because of #2 problem, nothing to do here.

So, I installed Wicd on my netbook.

I note that networkmanager is now gone. Hm...

A new icon is available. Progress. I first try to connect by wire. Can't do it. Do I have to configure something? Clicking the icon, the "Wicd Network Manager" modal window comes up. No link to any documentation. Man...if Windows assumes you're an idiot, Linux assumes you're a genius who has a direct line to God. I'm not and I don't, and I have no idea what to do with thie Wicd window. It's now 7 hours post power up time with this new router.

I've located the Wicd homepage.

At http://wicd.sourceforge.net/moinmoin/Wicd%20on%20Ubuntu I read "Configuration of Wicd is extremely simple, and automatic for wired clients." Right. And pigs have wings.

Then:
      * See if the wireless network you're looking for shows on the list.

It isn't. Nothing's listed. In Windows, at least 3 wireless networks, plus mine, show up. Here, nada.

* If it is a hidden network, click the down arrow next to the Network button, and type in the ESSID of the network.

What's a hidden network? What's an ESSID? Why is it assumed I know these things? Argh.

# If the network you want to connect to is listed, press the "Connect" button next to it.

And if it isn't. (No information provided for that logic branch. Why have an "if" when there's only one option described)

And that's it, for the "Wicd on Ubuntu" documentation at the Wicd website.

From your description, you and I are having very different experiences with Wicd, and I don't know why. I DID try a reboot of my Netbook, but it didn't change anything.

Any suggestions? I can provide screenshots if that would help. As always, thanks for your responses, and experience, and repeated helpfulness.

Comment

UPDATE: Figured out how to get wired connection via Wicd. Got on Wicd IRC channel, and was told I needed to install the drivers likely to be found in the "bcmwcl-kernal-source". New problems arise, which this forum can likely help me with:

1. I tried to download the files on my desktop - the plan being to move them to my netbook and install them there. But I couldn't figure out where the files got downloaded to. Also I had to do this weird thing where I was asked to put my Kubuntu 9.10 install disk into /cdrom. Then...
        2. I mindlessly tried to do the install on my netbook, but was again asked to put that disk into /cdrom, which of course doesn't exist.

Damn. Is there any way out of this? This all looks poorly thought out somehow...or, the system hasn't caught up with the netbook revolution yet.

Any ideas as to how I can solve this?

Comment

OK - got past that. Unexpectedly, the IRC guys suggested something I could make sense of. Got the "bcmwl-kernel-source" (Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source) package installed. However, it didn't appear to do anything. I'm guessing it needs some preferences set, and for that I'm going to need help. Back to the Wicd IRC...

Comment

Update: #wicd says driver seems not to be installed. They cannot take me further, as it's now an Ubuntu/Kubuntu issue. The #ubuntu IRC ignored my question about checking/fixing the driver installation.

So...I'm back here. Summary: Wicd cannot detect ANY wireless networks, and installation of the "bcmwl-kernel-source" (Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source) package, which #wicd said I needed, has had no effect.

I remain hopeful of some suggestions about what to do next.

Comment

I installed 9.10 in a dell laptop for a friend which had a brodcomm wireless card. 9.10 did not install the driver by default /To get network manager to see it I had to add cd rom to the sources list and insert the 9.10 live cd then go to Kickoff -applications-system-Hardware Drivers. I then had to remove fwcutter and install broadcom sta driver. After that Network manager recognized my wireless card. I hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by GilGib
                I installed 9.10 in a dell laptop for a friend which had a brodcomm wireless card. 9.10 did not install the driver by default /To get network manager to see it I had to add cd rom to the sources list and insert the 9.10 live cd then go to Kickoff -applications-system-Hardware Drivers. I then had to remove fwcutter and install broadcom sta driver. After that Network manager recognized my wireless card. I hope this helps
                Some questions:

1. You speak of a "wireless card". I understand that to be something you stick in a USB port...? My netbook comes with builtin wireless receptivity. Does that make a difference?

2. I'm not using network manager. I couldn't see how to access it. No icon. No menu entry. It was baffling. Couldn't find any documentation that wasn't conspicuously out of date. How do they expect us to use this thing? So, I'm using wicd. It's icon responds to clicks, but never detects anything.

3. Trying to duplicate what you did, I did Kickoff > system settings > advanced user settings > hardware > Network management backend, and moved "Wicd" to the top of the list. After a reboot, clicked on the system tray's network icon (shows 2 computer monitors), bringing up the "Wicd Network Manager" window, which tells me"No wireless networks found". That's all I've ever seen, with Kubuntu 9.10. I'm now 9 hours into this little project.

I'm sure open to further suggestions.

Comment

The Laptop has a built in wireless broadcom card and the driver wasn't installed correctly when i installed 9.10.
                  By going to Hardware drivers under Kickoff-applications-system-hardware drivers it detected the correct
                  hardware driver for my wireless card.
                  I had to deselect the incorrect broadcom driver that I manually installed and install the correct sta driver.

Comment

OK, but I still don't get this "hardware driver" selection business. I see no such thing in my "system settings". When I employ the search tool it has, nothing comes up. In "Advanced user settings" > hardware, there is this panel which comes up which says "Hardware Integration Configuration with Solid" (seriously, that's what the panel is titled - does that make sense to anyone? can I also integrate with 'liquid' jeez.). All three sections of this panel refer to various "backends". This is about as close as I can get to anything having to do with hardware drivers, and it doesn't look very close to me.

So, I really cannot seem to find the drive selection tool you're using. Can you help?

Comment

K -> System -> Hardware Drivers

Comment

It is not under system settings but under applications

Comment

Yeah - I completely misfired on that one. Sorry. I see it now, and it says that a "Broadcom STA wireless driver - "These package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4321-, andBCM4322-based hardware." is "activated and currently in use".

Well, it's not leading to the detection of ANY wireless routers in my area, and I KNOW that there are at least 4 (including my own), given what I when I'm on WinXP.

I'm now thinking that is not even the right driver for my wireless card, and I need to research that a bit. Thanks for you thoughts and help to this point.

Thanks for o

Comment

hay Mr. tomcloyd

do get eneything in a terminal if you do

Code:
                            iwlist scan
                            ?

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                              hay Mr. tomcloyd

do get eneything in a terminal if you do

Code:
                              iwlist scan
                              ?

VINNY
                              Yes...and no:

Code:
                              $ iwlist scan
                              lo    Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0   Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth3   Interface doesn't support scanning.

Comment

Working...
                              X