Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED!] mac wireless network works, kubuntu wired network not working. WTF?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on my home network, my mac (wireless) connects to the outside world, but my kubuntu box, after working brilliantly and flawlessly for 3 months, suddenly (as in "before yesterday") can't connect to the outside world at all.

when i connect to my mac from my kubuntu box (internal "home" network) it works fine, and i can transfer files just like normal, but i can't check my email or browse the web from my kubuntu box at all: it gives me timeout messages or tells me that the servers don't exist. i can check my email and browse the web from my mac with no problems...

here's the weird part: apparently i'm connecting with the outside world through kubuntu, but my network applications that use GUI are not working correctly. i just confirmed that i can connect to the outside using a text-mode browser through my terminal.

i'm fairly sure i didn't change anything important, but i'm still completely at a loss to figure out why. clues?
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Re: mac wireless network works, kubuntu wired network not working. WTF?

if can you describe your network set up a bit in detail , is there a router, switch or other device, is there a dchp server , do you staticly set ip's? , etc this info would be most helpful
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

try ping www.google.com from both systems to see if it ping out. If your Kubunutu system ping google return positively, then that box see the outside world. The DNS are being resolved correct in your network. If it can't ping google, then the problem is inside your network. reply back let me know what happen.....

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        if can you describe your network set up a bit in detail , is there a router, switch or other device, is there a dchp server , do you staticly set ip's? , etc this info would be most helpful
        okay, here's some more detail: i have a static external IP address which points to my router, and it's a switch and DHCP internally. there are two mac laptops and a kubuntu desktop box in the network, and the only one that's having problems is the kubuntu box. i am able to ping google, ping yahoo, and that sort of thing with no problem, and i have determined that it's not a problem with my ISP

also, i temporarily fixed both my email and web browsing issues by adding the IP addresses for pop and smtp to my /etc/hosts, configuring my smtp to get mail from an IP address instead of from a domain name, and disabling IPv6 in the browser.

however, i have definitely discovered that these are workarounds, and that i haven't hit on the source problem yet. the reason for this is, partially, that akregator is having distinct problems - socket operation timed out - getting the "complete story" from sites that it comes up with immediately with firefox. another problem is that amarok is not finding the covers that it was finding with no problems before a couple of days ago.
        ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

do you staticly set your kubuntu boxs' ip, see if the problem goes away when you get an ip via dhcp.
          also, i temporarily fixed both my email and web browsing issues by adding the IP addresses for pop and smtp to my /etc/hosts, configuring my smtp to get mail from an IP address instead of from a domain name,
          this sounds like a DNS problem, your kubuntu box doesn't know its dns server. do you staticly set your kubuntu boxs' ip if so see if the problem goes away when you get an ip via dhcp. or try creating a /etc/resolv.conf file)
          [code=/etc/resolv.conf]
          domain foo.domainserver.com
          search search.foo.com
          nameserver <dns1> <dns2> <dns3>
          [/code] see if that makes any diffrence.
          another problem is that amarok is not finding the covers that it was finding with no problems before a couple of days ago.
          this i belive has to do with amazon changing there site a bit , and amarok not changing there code to get the image. i remember reading something about that a little while ago.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

do you staticly set your kubuntu boxs' ip, see if the problem goes away when you get an ip via dhcp.
            no,
            Originally posted by przxqgl
            the only static IP i have points to my router. it's DHCP internally,
            which means kubuntu is DHCP.

also, i temporarily fixed both my email and web browsing issues by adding the IP addresses for pop and smtp to my /etc/hosts, configuring my smtp to get mail from an IP address instead of from a domain name,
            this sounds like a DNS problem, your kubuntu box doesn't know its dns server. do you staticly set your kubuntu boxs' ip if so see if the problem goes away when you get an ip via dhcp. or try creating a /etc/resolv.conf file)
            [code=/etc/resolv.conf]
            domain foo.domainserver.com
            search search.foo.com
            nameserver <dns1> <dns2> <dns3>
            [/code] see if that makes any diffrence.
            no,
            i use a static IP address externally, and it points to my router. i use DHCP internally.
            i already have an /etc/resolv.conf file, which lools like this:

[code=/etc/resolv.conf]
            # Generated by NetworkManager
            domain domain.actdsltmp
            search domain.actdsltmp
            nameserver 192.168.0.1
            nameserver 216.162.205.9[/code]

and if it's not there, i can't even ping externally.

another problem is that amarok is not finding the covers that it was finding with no problems before a couple of days ago.
            this i belive has to do with amazon changing there site a bit , and amarok not changing there code to get the image. i remember reading something about that a little while ago.
            i'm used to amarok not working correctly, because it doesn't really matter, but having email, RSS feeds and web not working correctly is very irritating and potentially affects my income. it would be good if i didn't have to worry about it so much...
            ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

okay, i've found a way to disable IPv6 in karmic - http://www.webupd8.org/2009/11/how-t...buntu-910.html - but it involves editing /etc/default/grub and i don't have /etc/default/grub

whaddle i do now?
              ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

okay, i've found a way to disable IPv6 in karmic - http://www.webupd8.org/2009/11/how-t...buntu-910.html - but it involves editing /etc/default/grub and i don't have /etc/default/grub

whaddle i do now?
                /etc/default/grub is used by grub2
                If your machine is still using the old version of grub, all you need to do is edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and append ipv6.disable=1 to your kernel line(s)

See http://www.qacafe.com/kb/articles/show/280 and follow the instructions for jaunty

Comment

it works, and here's what i did - http://www.webupd8.org/2009/05/how-t...tu-jaunty.html - followed by adding
                  Code:
                  net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
                  to /etc/sysctl.conf so that it will last beyond rebooting.
                  ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Working...
                  X