This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wireless drivers?

Hi, I've jost got my new laptop (DELL Studio 1555 withouth OS) and instaled Kubuntu 9.10. However I cannot do anything with my wireless network. When I go to Network Connections the Wireless tab cannot be opened...

I've found some topics but neither seemed to really help. When going through the lspci command in the terminal I found these:

Network controller: Bradcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
    Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)

So here http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php I found the drivers (or so I understand) though I don't really understand what follows next.

Any help apreciated, though it would also be very welcome if the explanation is udnerstandable to a beginner like me (no previous Linux experience)

EDIT: the readme didn't really help much either... Couldn't get it working the way they said to do it...
    What confused me further was:
    For 32 bit: hybrid-portsrc.tar.gz
    For 64 bit: hybrid-portsrc-x86_64.tar.gz

since both files are x86 (long long names...)

EDIT2: since I am not one to wait I tried to go over the instructions again. Did everything, but no interenet... No wireless

EDIT3: Did it one more time. Through great effort got it working, although there's another problem: everytime I restart my pc i have to use the
    cd hybrid_wl
    sudo modprobe lib80211
    sudo insmod wl.ko
    commands to reactivate my internet. Any ideas how to fix that? Perhaps I need to do something similar like the blacklists for the ssb and b43 but to automate the dirver activation?

Re: No wireless drivers?

try the lspci command again to see if you can see some similar to what reported for my system:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 13)

Do you see something for "Atheros" identified? Atheros is the chipset for the wireless widely use and compariable for Linux.

I have ran into wireless problem for quite something, and when I got Kubuntu 9.10 I was able to get the wireless on my Samsung netbook to work, but without some general trouble shoot.

This is what I have to do to trouble shoot my wireless:
    1-make sure you set the wireless access point wide open without block MAC or use any key. boardcast your SSID. (you can lock it back down later when you are done trouble shooting).
    2-make sure your are talking wireless on the same channel set on the access point, (this should be auto detected, but manually forcing to a common channel is good). Login to your access point try deferent channel (all of them see if you get a hit on one common to the setting on your access card).
    3-if kubuntu do regonized your wireless, it should show up in your network connection on the desktop. you need to configure your wireless profile from the network connection icon.
    4-force it to connect the first time manually, by select the enable wireless selection and connect using the profile you create with SSID name to your access router.
    Hope this help!!!

Comment

Working...
    X