Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire wireless keep losing connection, then wont re-connect...[SOLVED]

Hi All....Im new to Kubuntu and have been searching for an answer for some time (days) so I dont post something thats been posted before...couldn't find a solution that works...

My problem is wireless works perfectly on startup, but after a while it drops off, and then I get a box coming up entitled "Secrets For 'my ssid'" and requesting my WPA Personal password, which I enter, and nothing happens. Under network connections it shows as 'activating', but never connects again, unless I re-boot. Then the cycle re-peats.

Im using Kubuntu KNetworkManager, and have found its good. If there is no "cure" as such, Is there a way to manually re-start the network etc to save me re-booting?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Kevbb.
    Got rid of Windows, and the horrible Vista...all this is scary and new...be kind.

Re: Acer Aspire wireless keep losing connection, then wont re-connect...

Hi

At the risk of understatement, the default network manager gives rise to mixed emotions.

You may have a better experience with wicd, which is in the repositories so use your package manager.

Be aware that installing wicd will uninstall the default manager. Once installed you can either reboot or instead hit alt+F2 to launch krunner and then simply type wicd in the box. you will see an icon appear for below for the wicd manager. Select it.

You should see a list of available connections. Click on the name of the one you want and you will then be able to configure the security settings.

Hope this helps

ian

Comment

Thanks for your reply...very much appreciated. I Am keen to learn.
      Im a bit scared to change anything in case it doesn't work, but I would like to give Wicd a try.
      First though, Is there a way to re-load the default network manager if wicd doesn't work out? (Sorry new Kubuntu user's apprehension to change things that are mostly working)
      Also, is there a way to manually shut down and re-start the current network manager when it does stop responding, without having to re-boot?

Cheers / Kevbb.
      Got rid of Windows, and the horrible Vista...all this is scary and new...be kind.

Comment

Just make a note of the packages that get removed when you install wicd. If you don't like wicd you can reinstall them via the package manager which will then remove wicd as part of that process.

The package management system is very clever. If you select a program the system will know what other programs are required (dependencies) and will automatically install them too. Also it will warn you if something will cause a conflict.

The package management system is rather different to the windows way of visiting websites to install programs. Once you get used to the change you will most likely find it very, very, easy.

Ian

Comment

Re: Acer Aspire wireless keep losing connection, then wont re-connect...[SOLVED]

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP TAN...MUCH APPRECIATED...VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.!!!

This was a bit of a headache, and Wicd seems to work pretty good...no problems so far with losing connection etc. Cool

Thanks Again...Im starting to really like this Kubuntu.

Cheers Kevbb.

Comment

Re: Acer Aspire wireless keep losing connection, then wont re-connect...[SOLVED]

Glad it worked

Comment

I loaded wicd a few weeks ago when i was on a beta of 9.10.... its worked fine, but now i would like to use the built in 3g for my acer. wicd doesnt appear to have any options for the 3g modem.... do i uninstall wicd and go back to the network manager (by all accounts this will cause me probs with my wifi) or is there another solution? From what i have read... and it is very difficult to work out the historical sequence of much of the advice... there remains problems with the kubuntu network manager which is fixed in the ubuntu one wrt the acer? Or is it fixed now?

BTW i have kep my machine updated with -safeupdate so am not on the prop 9.10 release.

Comment

Working...
              X