X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to connect? (DSL)

Hi

1) I used the KDE network dialogue to add the DSL connection and activated 'connect automatically'.
    No application has internetconnection - it seems it does not connect automatically. (and it shows it was never connected.)
    How do I get it to connect manually? There is no button anywhere. Not in the network dialouge and the dsl connection is not listed in the icon-menu.

2) Instead there is an entry to deactivate / activate a wireless-connection - besides the fact the computer does not have wireless lan.

3) I cant even figure out which NIC is eth0 and eth1. Where is the tool to show the devicenames and configure it?

4) Where can I find a device-manager like that from windows? (Is there one in the repositories?)

5) Several windows (like the network-dialouge) are too large for the 640x480 resolution and cant be resized to see the ok/cancel buttons on bottom. The user is trapped after installation: no displaydriver to use a larger screen and no internetconnection (which can not be configured on vga) to get the missing display-driver.

Where to report these bugs? KDE Bugtracker? KDE forum?

Greetings

Re: How to connect? (DSL)

I can't give you a full answer for all your problems but will give a few pointers.

5. I assume you have a video driver problem.
    But you can still move the too large windows to expose the OK etc. buttons by holding the ALT key+ Left mouse button with the cursor anywhere in the affected window. :P

4. Yes there is a sort of Device Manager, go to System Settings/Advanced/Hardware.

3. Open a terminal and issue the command ifconfig.

2&1. The KNetworkManager has been highly unreliable, since a few weeks it's working in most cases but the alternative network manager called wicd is still the champion.

It's possible to download the wicd.deb package via another computer and then install it on the problematic one using gdebi.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/wicd...l.deb/download

Another option is to set up a network connection manually via the terminal, there are a few instructions on the subject on this forum.

Comment

Working...
    X