This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BCM4322 (Dell 1510) doesn't appear to work in karmic [SOLVED]

One of the appeals for kubuntu jaunty was my BCM4322 wireless card (Dell 1510) for my Studio XPS 1340 worked right out of the box. With karmic, the "wifi" light is lit, but Network Manager doesn't see the wireless card and iwconfig doesn't see wlan0 or eth1. Help?

Jimbo

Re: BCM4322 (Dell 1510) doesn't appear to work in karmic

Have you tried installing the b43-fwcutter package?

There are also a couple of threads over on the hardware section which might be of interest.

Comment

Those other threads don't quite match my issue.

The b43-fwcutter package won't work. Here is the source code for the driver: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php (I was hoping the driver was on the CD and I didn't have to compile and install it), unfortunately, without wireless working, I can't grab updates, new drivers, apt-gets or bug fixes. Jaunty had the driver working right out of the box. All I had to do was go to K -> system settings -> network settings -> network manager. The wireless tab was available and all I had to do was tell it to scan, always connect, and connect. That was it. The broadcom-sta driver came loaded in jaunty. Is this not the case for karmic? Perhaps I'm overlooking something and the driver is loaded?

Comment

I never got my bcm4322 wireless card to work in Jaunty and will be updating to Karmic tomorrow. I know that the live cd did not have support for wireless, but I have a wired connection available, so after I update everything hopefully I will have wireless.
        Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Odd... for me, the card just worked in Jaunty. I would hold off on the upgrade until the institutional solution is out (unless you don't need wireless). I find it hard to believe the card isn't supported on the karmic CD. I must be missing something.

Comment

Well the card is supported via the b43 or sta driver, but they aren't available on the live cd. Since I don't have wireless now, it's not like I have much to lose by sticking with Jaunty.
            Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Re: BCM4322 (Dell 1510) doesn't appear to work in karmic [SOLVED]

Well.... this problem is solved.

Assuming you have a USB drive AND a spare computer with USB, a wired internet connection, or you're running jaunty with a working bcm4322 card, you can download the driver (for your arch) from the broadcom site here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php . Don't forget to grab the readme.txt document because that has the directions on how to install the driver. I have a spare laptop running windows so I was able to download the source. I followed the instructions and almost immediately the network manager noticed my card and I was able to configure internet (very painless). From there I grabbed my updates (which included the broadcom-sta driver) and chose to download and install this driver. Everything works, the only anomaly is now my wireless is called eth2 (but network manager does not see eth1 so it's not an issue) and everything functions as it should.

Hope this helps you. Especially if you have this card and you're looking to upgrade/install karmic.

Comment

I installed the STA driver and wicd and have wireless after the update the Karmic. So I am damn happy as Karmic is solid.

Comment

Happy to help

Comment

Working...
                  X