Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

slow internet browsing/downloading/general network connectivity...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow internet browsing/downloading/general network connectivity...

I just installed Karmic (rc) on my Asus M51se laptop this past Sunday. There are a few issues and I am working through them.

One of the more annoying issues is the fact that I'm experiencing slow network connectivity. Browsing is slow both in Konqueror and Firefox (the url requests seem to be delayed). Downloading of files and general network speed does not seem to be optimal either. This is for both wired and wirless networking.

The wired ethernet adapter built into the laptop is a 'Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller'. Its quite a common chip on many notebooks.

The wifi chip is a 'Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN'.

I must note that in Windows on the same machine, networking is much faster for both wired and wireless.

Any suggestions on resolving this is much appreciated...

• chris  m •

Re: slow internet browsing/downloading/general network connectivity...

There are reports that disabling IPv6 (in firefox) helps alleviate such issues.
    Google is your friend

Comment

That helped Firefox on my new install. It was seriously lagging until I disabled ipv6 look-ups. I wonder why they enable it by default when it hurts performance so much. Thanks for the heads-up Teunis. I was wondering why Firefox was so sluggish.
      linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Also, you can add up to 8 pipelines. They really put the ZOOOOM in FireFox!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Also, you can add up to 8 pipelines. They really put the ZOOOOM in FireFox!
          ?? pleas explane further?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Through the about: configuration of Firefox you can tell it to make several parallel connections to the server where you try to pick something up.
            Providing the server can handle it the data will come in quicker.

I think you can even go up to 30 or so.

But it's generally frouned upon to enable too many connections.

Comment

I'm running FF3.0.14 and the defaults are:
              Preference Name / Status / Type / Value

network.http.max-connections / default / integer / 30
              network.http.max-connections-per-server / default / integer / 15
              network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy / default / integer / 8
              network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server / default / integer / 6

I don't think there's much to do there.

Comment

Originally posted by ukchucktown
                That helped Firefox on my new install. It was seriously lagging until I disabled ipv6 look-ups. I wonder why they enable it by default when it hurts performance so much. Thanks for the heads-up Teunis. I was wondering why Firefox was so sluggish.
                The slowdown you observed is not because of Kubuntu not being able to handle the IPv6 rules but something in your network getting confused. It might be your own router or something of your ISP that's the bottleneck.
                For most people IPv6 will not cause any problems.

Comment

Concur with Teunis. IPv6 routing is only problematic for some ISPs -- it is not good advice (nowdays) globally to disable IPv6. It is the future standard for Internet routing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Therefore, if experimentally disabling IPv6 fixes your browser performance problem, then you will know your ISP is not implementing it correctly, if at all.

Comment

I tested it from two different networks with a similar lag. My router at home is a D-Link DIR-655. I'll research if I have settings that might be causing problems but I doubt it. I agree IPv6 is the future but right now it is still early and performance trumps everything until it's properly implemented and more widespread.
                    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                      There are reports that disabling IPv6 (in firefox) helps alleviate such issues.
                      Google is your friend
                      Yeah I applied this workaround to my Kubuntu install way back in 8.10. I would have thought this would no longer be an issue in this 9.10 release.

Anyways I need IPv6 enabled for work. Though today the speed was much better for some unknown reason. There were some updates in between so I suspect there could have been something in those updates that has resolved the issue.
                      • chris  m •

Comment

Working...
                      X