This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

internet lag in Karmic - no lag in 9.04

I am running the 9.10 beta from a live-USB device, and also from an alpha3 install with all of the updates.

Initially the alpha3 install had horrible lag times - taking between 10 and 15 seconds to find a webpage. It would display "looking for ....." in firefox and then find that, but if the domain changed for another part of the webpage, such as an ad [yeah! adblocker], it would go back to "looking for...." for another 10 seconds while it found the new stuff.

I found a workaround for this by adding the "ipv6.disable=1" option to the boot menu, but that only really fixed firefox.

I still have horrible lag times with apt and the repositories. It regularly takes about 10 seconds for apt to connect to the first repository, but once it does, the speeds go back to normal. The lag is there from the command line and also from synaptic.

I booted into a working 9.04 install, and the lag times are milliseconds for firefox, as I would sort of expect, and synaptic and apt from the command line both find the repositories immediately.

The live-usb BETA does not use the ipv6.disable option, and the lag times are closer to 2 seconds in firefox, which is better - but still not ideal, but apt still takes a while. I will keep trying the beta to see if the server demand might be a factor.

Anyone else see this behavior?

My ISP is qwest, and I have no idea how they handle ipv6, or if this is a network manager type problem in Karmic.

the first thread for this problem for me is here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106289.0

Are there any tests I can do to determine where the problem is?

thanks

Re: internet lag in Karmic - no lag in 9.04

I'm sorry, I don't know a test specifically, but I can report that I don't have the same problem as you. I'm running the latest Karmic version and all along have not found this internet lag. I've done nothing to the ipv6 settings, so it certainly seems plausible when you suspect it's something to do with how your ISP deals with ipv6 addresses.

Comment

Here the net is working fine but from the > Karmic Koala Testing and Discussion (Ubuntu) >> Unable to disable ipv6 in Karmic Beta:
      I made a clean install of Karmic Koala and suddenly found out that it's impossible to disable ipv6 so internet is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallllllyyyyyyyyyyyy slow ....
      (Edit):
      ... and > Internet slow on Ubuntu 9.10 alpha 64-bit
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I'm also using Qwest DSL and I have noticed the same lag times.

Comment

Detonate, is this the first time you have seen this lag? What did/do other versions have for lag times?

I'm really wondering if there is something specific to Karmic that is causing this - perhaps network manager issues.

I also seem to have trouble with the default ports. In 9.04, I didn't have to do anything to get whatever ports open that I needed, but in 9.10, I still can't figure out how to connect to these ports.

thanks

Comment

I'm running the 64bit Kubuntu Karmic and see no internet delay with any application that accesses the Internet.
            My ISP is Earthlink and I have a 10Mb/s connection which netspeed tests at 8.99Mb/s down and 0.95M/s up.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
              If that is the case, you should try disabling it within firefox itself, via

about:config
              network.dns.disableIPv6: true

instead of messing with the grub setting.

Edit: Blah, I thought your post said, it wasn't fixed in firefox... oh well, the above method should still work if you prefer that to having your grub files messed with.

Comment

I also see the lag time using aptitude on a command line. Need to look at Synaptic to see if it also has the lag.

It is kind of annoying but not a serious problem on my machine.

Comment

It lags for me in Jaunty and and in Karmic. I changed to the Duke University Mirror and everything was fine. I have no problems in Hardy.

Comment

Working...
                  X