Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wireless & karmic: address assignment fails SOLVED!

It turns out my intuition was right. It was something simple & easy to fix.

All I had to do was put the following line in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

blacklist rt2800usb

It was just that easy. I found the suggestion in an Ubuntu forum post somewhere.

Comment

Re: wireless & karmic: address assignment fails [SOLVED]

Hehe, you show the right perseverance to run a test version!

Comment

Re: wireless & karmic: address assignment fails [SOLVED]

Sometimes I think 99% of the linux that I've learned comes from running the public pre-releases of Kubuntu. When things are running too smoothly, I inevitably get the itch to tinker. Luckily, I've only accidentally formatted my home partition once (knock on wood).

And when I get a problem that I can't solve right away, I poke at it. Then I poke at it again. I keep poking at it until I stumble upon someone who had the same or similar problem. The hardest part is figuring out how to conceptualize the problem. By all appearances it would seem that if your network adapter can't get an address from your router's DHCP server, then something must be amiss with the network configuration. It took me about 2 weeks to stumble my way to a solution.

Or as I'm fond of telling my 5 & 7 year-olds: the best combination to solve a problem is equal parts impatience and muleheadedness. You try a solution, it doesn't work, then you stomp off in a huff, swearing by all that's holy & unholy that you'll never touch that problem ever again. Then after you cool down, you think, oh, wait, I didn't try.... And the cycle repeats, until either a solution is found, or the source of the problem is tinkered with beyond repair.

Comment

Working...
        X