Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding Samba (not able to see machines, although I can connect to them)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding Samba (not able to see machines, although I can connect to them)

Hi there!
    I'm gonna ask an issue I keep having on karma, but for me this comes from long ago, as far as I can remember. But I never found any way to fix it.
    Well, here it goes:
    On dolphin, if I click on network, and then on samba, it shows the workgroup my home machines are in (workgroup labelled "CASA"). Right. If I click on it, it shows an empty space. 0 items. After a while, it times out. If I click on refresh, nothing changes. If I type the name of the machine like, \\CASA\timo, it doesn´t find anything (in windows, if I ping "timo" it resolves the name out of the box).
    However, if I type smb:/192.168.1.7 (which is the ip for "timo"), it immediately finds the shares of the computer.

Is there a way in which I can actually NAVIGATE through samba? I mean, without actually having to guess first the machine's IP.
    Thank you very much!

Re: Regarding Samba (not able to see machines, although I can connect to them)

Mine does not behave that way -- I stayed with the default "workgroup", and so the three machines (one is a VM) are connected to the router. Here's what I see when I click "workgroup":

Attached Files

Comment

Re: Regarding Samba (not able to see machines, although I can connect to them)

Quite curious, I must admit. How can you set up the workgroup the samba machine belongs to? I think there was some sort of samba configuration menu on the preferences window, but I can't find it. I mean, to configure the samba client, not the server (I'm not intending to share folders on linux for windows machines...yet)

Comment

Working...
      X