This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ubuntu 9.10 installed, want to upgrade to newer kubuntu from synaptic

I've had trouble with my pc and finally was able to install ubuntu 9.10. After that I tried to upgrade to the kubuntu available in synaptic by installing the 'desktop'.
    I believe it was successful but the theme didn't change at all, and I was anxious to use the new kde 4. I searched the forums and found a post similar to mine with the suggestion to visit the following link.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekdekarmic

Remove Ubuntu 9.10

Paste this command into the terminal:
    sudo apt-get remove aisleriot alacarte app (and cont)

My question is this since I've had a problem and hesitate to break my comp again. lol

If I do this will it work as a newly installed kubuntu should, or will it still be an ubuntu with extras? I know they're related, but I think kubuntu would be easier for me to use. I simply want to go through synaptic if possible.

Thanks so much.

Re: ubuntu 9.10 installed, want to upgrade to newer kubuntu from synaptic

Hi
    I've done what you are considering.

But, I'd humbly suggest that the easiest way to do this is to just download either Meerkat or Natty, burn the iso, and install it.

You would have to move your "information" to a usb drive and then move it back...it "seems" that you have not had the distro on the hard drive for very long..

But... I'd suggest moving your data to a drive of some kind... downloading either MM or Natty and burning a cd and installing it.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks, woodsmoke.
      You're right, I have nothing on the hd that I can't easily replace. I wanted to do this before that happened. The trouble is something on the cd player won't let boot disks boot. Can't mount. This ubuntu 9 finally caught and I just installed before it realized it was working. lol I let it take over xp.

You've done this so is it too time consuming? I have time. Wrought with errors?
      I have a good distro of 10.10 ( I used it in a virtual machine) but it won't mount., even my Ultimate Boot won't boot. But the system works well. I have a blank flash drive but the instructions for loading an os are too complicated for me; there's a lot of command code that I don't know.

Maybe I'll add a little more from synaptic, a bit at a time and see what happens.
      I appreciate your suggestion, thanks! I really wanted someone to say encouragingly, yes, it will work, but not if it won't. I like honesty.

Thanks again,

Comment

you cannot upgrade to a newer version from within synaptic, per se. At least not without the likelihood of problems.

To upgrade to 10.10 would involve 2 steps
        upgrading to 10.04 LTS
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades/Kubuntu
        then to 10.10 if you desired
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...grades/Kubuntu

But doing that big a jump, I suggest as woodsmoke does and install clean.

Comment

Yes, I assumed synaptic held the same version as I had, and I'm aware that I can only upgrade a version at a time. It would take a while to get up to 10, wouldn't it? I wasn't familiar how many versions came out since 9.10 That's okay with me if it would work. I don't need more problems right now though, I'm just thankful I have an os at all at this point. lol

Thanks claydoh, for the verification of problems. I'll stick with the ubuntu.

Comment

Hi
            What I was referring to is that I had installed the latest KDE on top of other OSs and got, basically Kubu. I've also done several "upgrades" and most of them had "problems" or just wouldn't work.

But, in all cases, it was time consuming and in the case of the upgrades required answering a bunch of questions for which I usually had not clue about the "correct" answer and just hit enter... and later found out i should have chosen the other option.

The simplest way is to just install the newest iteration of the distro and let it go at that.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks for your good advice. Update offered ubuntu 10.4 upgrade and I took it. I chose gnome instead of kde as default and am enjoying the tweaking. Once I figure out how to install a virtual, I will put kubuntu there and try it--safely.

I looked for a 'RESOLVED' button, but couldn't see one.

Thanks again,
              crit

Comment

Working...
              X