Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a real problem, just a question or 3... [Moot point after Lucid install]

Greetings,

I have just finished building a new i7 box. My old Core 2 Duo, still running Windoze XP Pro, and still working on some distributed computing science work units for another day or 2, will become the happy recipient of Kubuntu v9.10.

My question(s) is this:
    With all the bug fixes, updates and upgrades to v9.10, that have come out since its release, I do not relish the idea of trying to install them ALL AT ONCE. When KPackageKit tells me that there are some 5,000 updates that need to be installed, can I just start at the top of the list, select maybe 10 at a time and update that way? Or, should I just do the lump sum updates in one fell swoop? BTW, I know that there are not 5,000 updates, maybe 300 to 500 at best.

An inquiring mind in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick
    "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Re: Not a real problem, just a question or 3...

Why mess with KK 9.10 still?

We, the community, just got a new toy. Lucid Lynx 10.04 is a long term release (LTS) so it'll be supported for 3 years. Jump on the bandwagon and join the fun.

To answer your question about 9.10, you should upgrade all at the same time; you'll risk breaking packages otherwise.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

I believe you should install ALL the updates at once. You are risking breaking a working install if you pick and choose which updates to install.

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
        Why mess with KK 9.10 still?

We, the community, just got a new toy. Lucid Lynx 10.04 is a long term release (LTS) so it'll be supported for 3 years. Jump on the bandwagon and join the fun.

To answer your question about 9.10, you should upgrade all at the same time; you'll risk breaking packages otherwise.
        Greetings,

Yeah, I kinda figured I would have to do the lump sum updates. Oh well...

What is Lucid Lynx 10.04? .oO(I suppose I could just google it. Google is your friend!) I like Kubuntu.

Thank you from somewhere in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick
        "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
          I believe you should install ALL the updates at once. You are risking breaking a working install if you pick and choose which updates to install.
          Greetings skunk,

Yeah, I had that thought when I was making my initial post. Just thought I'd ask anyway.

Rick

Comment

Lucid Lynx is the codename for 10.04, the latest release of K/Ubuntu (just like Karmic Koala is the codename for 9.10).

Since 10.04 is the LTS, it'll be supported by updates for 3 years.

Check it out; and I might recommend doing a clean install of it if you can.

http://www.kubuntu.org
            Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
            Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
            Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
              Lucid Lynx is the codename for 10.04, the latest release of K/Ubuntu (just like Karmic Koala is the codename for 9.10).

Since 10.04 is the LTS, it'll be supported by updates for 3 years.

Check it out; and I might recommend doing a clean install of it if you can.

http://www.kubuntu.org
              Greetings,

Got the 64 bit version!

My laptop hasn't told me that there is a new release. Must be a relative recent release.

Thanks you from somewhere in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick001
                My laptop hasn't told me that there is a new release. Must be a relative recent release.
                Went final on April 29th. That your system didn't report/tell you a system update was available is likely due to you not having Recommend Updates checked in your Software Sources Updates tab.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  Went final on April 29th. That your system didn't report/tell you a system update was available is likely due to you not having Recommend Updates checked in your Software Sources Updates tab.
                  Greetings Snowhog,

That explains it! My laptop, also a Toshiba Satellite, was not on and wasn't for several days in anticipation of doing my PC building on the kitchen table.

Where exactly is that setting you are talking about? When I boot the laptop, a notification icon will pop up a window stating whether or not any updates are available. I guess I'll have to wire it to my router so that it can be upgraded to v10.04.

Rick

Comment

Where exactly is that setting you are talking about?
                    Assuming you are using KPackageKit:

Settings > Edit Software Sources > Updates and ensure that Recommended Updates is checked.

If you are using Synaptic:

Settings > Repositories > Updates and again, ensure that Recommended updates is checked.

Comment

Greetings Snowhog,

Thanks for the info. I checked my Core 2 Duo desktop settings in KPackageKit and that setting is default. I haven't checked the laptop. Both the laptop and the Core 2 Duo are now running Kubuntu Lucid. I would guess that that would make this inquiry a moot point, huh?

I will modify the subject line accordingly, for this thread.

Raining, again, here in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick

Comment

Re: Not a real problem, just a question or 3... [Moot point after Lucid install]

I'll lock this thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X