This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot with PCLOS2010 solved

I installed PCLOS2010 next to Karmic Kubuntu. Its ok, I like some of th features. However, its time for it to go. My question is, the PCLOS grub took over from Kubuntus. How do I remove PCLOS and have grub back to the way it was?

thankse

Re: Dual Boot with PCLOS2010

You can easily reinstall grub from Karmic. See this post.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

Comment

There is a lot of stuff thre and many ways to accomplish this. In you opinion, which one is the most fool proof? I was also thinking of creating a temp partition and copy all of my personal stuff there and then do a fresh upgrade to 10.04.

Comment

Does the Grub Menu have an entry to boot Karmic? Did PCLinuxOS install Grub to sda, your first hard disk? If so, boot into Karmic, and then open a terminal. You only need to run two commands in Karmic in the terminal, and you can cut and paste those from here.

The first is
        Code:
        sudo update-grub
        and then

Code:
        sudo grub-install /dev/sda
        Reboot and you should have your Karmic version of Grub menu at boot.

Comment

that worked !!!!! thank you very much. however, we need to streamline. what i mean is that when i first installed karmic the grub menu never showed, it went straight into bootup. h=i know how to edit grub to remove the two older kernals and pclos. i will also use my live gparted to delete the pclos partition to get rid of it. how do i make it that grub does not show and it just boots directly? i was also thinking of do ing a fresh install of 10.04 into the current karmoc partition having install wipe out the old one. i have all my personal stuff in the pclos partition too. so i would then copy that stuff in and delete pclos partition. what do u think?

Comment

OK, the easy way to do that is to change the line that looks like this in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

Change it to read

GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

Then Grub will immediately boot your default OS. If you need to actually see the Grub menu, you can still do that by pressing the Esc key while grub is loading. I think that's correct, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

To edit the file enter

Code:
            kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub
            in a terminal.

Find the line above in the file and change it. Then save the file. Exit Kate then run

Code:
            sudo update-grub
            Next time you boot, it will boot your default OS with no delay.

Comment

you are on a roll. i thought i could edit grub, but i cant find /boot/grub/menu.lst. ford thid grub work that way?

Comment

You are using Grub2 now. there is no /boot/grub/menu.lst file anymore. It's now called grub.cfg. And it is automatically created by running the "sudo update-grub" command. You should not edit it directly. Changes to Grub are done by editing the files in /etc/grub.d directory and the /etc/default/grub file. The changes are implemented when you run the update-grub command. Read the howto thread I posted above if you need more info on how to manage Grub2.

Comment

then i guess we can change this thread to solved. you were a huge help and i learned a bit from it as well. let me ask one more question of you, would i be better off with a fresh install or will the upgrade prove to be just fine?

Comment

You can do that. Return to your OP (original post) and click the modify button and then add SOLVED to the subject line.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Dual Boot with PCLOS2010 solved

Fresh install or upgrade? That's a question for a new topic. And I think you will find quite a number of opinions on that with a forum search.

Comment

Working...
                      X