This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.10 on Asus EEE 900

A relative has an ASUS 900, which introduced him to Linux, on my suggestion. He now rates it far more reliable that anything before, which was not the case with Windows units being used by colleagues, even surviving a sandy military environment relatively unscathed. However, the default Xandros can be awkward with installing addons, it is somewhat lacking in explanations as to exactly where things need to go to work, Wine being a particular concern. Whereas my Kubuntu 8.04 installation on an elderly Advent portable has no such difficulties.
    So he would like to change to Kubuntu ... however, this requires that either a standard Kubuntu or the netbook remix is loaded directly to a USB stick and then onto his ASUS, without going via a CD ... the ASUS doesn't have a CD drive and the Advent CD drive has expired.
    Are there any instructions available that would help with this installation route?
    "You, sir are no gentleman!"
    "I knew there was something about me that I liked."
    Commander Vimes, Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Linux User (# 368182) since 1996
    Unix initiated on SCO Xenix from 1992 <Pobody's nerfect>

Re: 9.10 on Asus EEE 900

Originally posted by nadrach
    this requires that either a standard Kubuntu or the netbook remix is loaded directly to a USB stick and then onto his ASUS, without going via a CD ... the ASUS doesn't have a CD drive and the Advent CD drive has expired.
    Are there any instructions available that would help with this installation route?
    Have a look at this thread. I have succesfully used unetbootin. Another app that should do what you want is usb-creator-kde.

Comment

Re: 9.10 on Asus EEE 900

If you're more comfortable working in a Windows environment, this looks like a pretty good guide:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-live-usb-creator/

You might as well hold off for a week, and then download the 10.04 ISO of your choice (netbook remix or 32-bit Live CD or Alternate Install CD).

Comment

Working...
      X